Value/benefit of charcoal canister? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
So, in thinking I was going to fix a fuel smell issue I started down the road of installing a charcoal canister and related fuel and vac lines. These had been left off a few years ago when I put the truck together. The fuel smell just started recently.

In any case as I was under the truck getting ready to install the fuel vapor hard line (that I have had on the shelf forever) I found a leak in the fuel line that runs to the filter/pump/carb. I've fixed that so the smell is gone.

So... what is the relative value in installing a charcoal canister. I'm adding complexity and points of failure to the engine bay... is it "worth it"?
1979 2F is otherwise desmogged and runs great.

Think of the charcoal canister as being your fuel tank vent. If you plug off the tank charcoal canister connection then you've basically sealed the tank and this can lead to issues.

Exactly as above, it vents your tank and the charcoal absorbs the fuel vapors. If you plumb the solenoid and/or vcv, it will also use engine vacuum to pull it through while running, which is a nice feature. My truck is desmogged but I've always kept the charcoal canister/evap system.

On this subject line my charcoal cannister is still in (desmogged) but looks like crap. Based on its function does it matter? And is there anywehre you can get a replacement? Cheers.

So I got some help from Jim C (on the clock) and he helped me sort some of this out for my particular circumstance. In the course of this I referenced my factory service 2F engine emission control manual. I'm attaching the pages relevant to the EVAP system here for others to reference. I hope this helps.

PXL_20220630_193117476.jpg

PXL_20220630_193148444.jpg

PXL_20220630_193156024.jpg

PXL_20220630_193228481.jpg

PXL_20220630_193239562.jpg

Reactions: TEQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom