Valuation of my FJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

teejnut

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi All,
Been awhile since I've been on mud... and it's been awhile since I've taken my 80 out! Life has been hectic with a wedding (a year ago) and an infant (13 weeks old). So with the new family I'm looking into moving to the 100-series since it's more family friendly vs. my modified FJ80. Started to shop around for a 100-series and have found some potential ones but I want to get an idea of how much my FJ80 is worth.

I know price wil vary and at the end of the day it will depend on what a buyer is willing to spend. But I want to get some opinions on pricing. I was thinking maybe $10k-$12k? Is that fair to expect that? Or what would you value my rig as in the current market? I'm open to thoughts on the pricing. I've thought about parting out as well but I think its easier and more valuable to sell as is.

1991 FJ80:
151k miles. Rig runs well, I have no hesitation to drive it across the country (minus gas $). It's not a super clean rig just due to it's age, it's been wheeled, and taken out on trips. The maintenace has been kept up to date with all mainly OEM parts. Engine was rebuilt at 108k miles by PO due to an overheat. There are some minor issues: rear windshield wiper doesn't work (I think its motor since I hear the relay click), cruise control stop working recently, drips a drop or two of oil, dashboard is crack, paint is starting to fade on the hood and roof.

Major mod list:
OME 2.5" lift kit: 850 spring up front with 1" spacer, 864 spring in the rear
MetalTech Tube Bumper w/ Small Stinger & 2 HID lights
SuperWinch EP9
4x4labs rear bumper, dual swingouts: tire carrier & triple jerry can holder
35" x 12.5" x 15" BFG M/T KM2
5.29 Gearing
Front ARB locker with ARB compressor (CKMA12)
Rear Aussie Locker
Custom sliders
IPOR Skid Plate
BajaRack - short rack with axe/shovel mounts
Warfield Drawers
Flowmaster muffler, tucked up high and away

Recent Maintenance (last 25k miles):
OEM fan clutch, OEM upper/lower radiator hose, OEM alternator (refurb), refurb power brake booster, OEM fuel pump filter, OEM dis cap, OEM dis rotor, OEM spark plugs, OEM cord set, OEM fusible links, OEM starter relay. Chevron DELO with Napa Gold oil filter for oil/filter changes.

I need to wash the rig and fix some minor things and take better pics but here is how it sits now.

DSC00826_cr.jpg

DSC00827_cr.JPG

DSC00829_cr.jpg

I would honestly say if you are looking to get that kind of money out of it that you just keep it.

Not trying to burst your bubble but that is steep for a mildly modified 3fe 80series.

I would honestly say if you are looking to get that kind of money out of it that you just keep it.

Not trying to burst your bubble but that is steep for a mildly modified 3fe 80series.

I'm here for people to burst my bubble. So thanks for the honest reply. In your mind what would you think is a fair price?

I was gonna say that exact thing last night. I looked at one like yours that was listed at 7500 and passed because I thought it was too much. It wasn't the stuff done for me, it was the year. Couldn't justify all that cash. Just my .02

I was gonna say that exact thing last night. I looked at one like yours that was listed at 7500 and passed because I thought it was too much. It wasn't the stuff done for me, it was the year. Couldn't justify all that cash. Just my .02

Thanks for the input. What would you think is a fair price? I've seen some 3FE listed higher and lower, but obviously that's just the list price and don't know if it sells for that or not. There's a white one listed for $13k-$14k with less mods then mine but cleaner.

Put it up on cl for 10k and see what happens. Best part about that is you will see what kind of market you have in your general area. When I was looking for mine I went out to Cerritos and looked at the one I mentioned in my last post. I thought it was too high but someone else obviously didn't because it sold. If you have the time just put it up for what you think it's worth and drop little by little until someone buys it and you don't feel screwed. SoCal prices are strange.

Put it up on cl for 10k and see what happens. Best part about that is you will see what kind of market you have in your general area. When I was looking for mine I went out to Cerritos and looked at the one I mentioned in my last post. I thought it was too high but someone else obviously didn't because it sold. If you have the time just put it up for what you think it's worth and drop little by little until someone buys it and you don't feel screwed. SoCal prices are strange.

Thanks for the tip. Yeah I'm in no rush. Just been looking at some 100-series and want to see how much my FJ80 is worth so I know how much to budget. Seems like I should sell my 80 first though since prices can vary a lot and then shop for a 100. Thanks. :cheers:

All those mods will be worth something to perhaps someone here on Mud, but outside of this small community and finding someone wanting a truck with all the mods done, you'll have a tough sale at $10-12K. As others have said, throw it up on CL and I'd put it up here as well. You'll likely get more interest from the LC community...or feedback one way or the other which you can use or ignore as you choose.

Keep or part out it out IMO

Keep or part out it out IMO

I've thought about the part out, might consider it. The biggest thing I would have to figure out is what do with bumpers especially the rear since I cut the crossframe for the 4x4labs install. And don't have either stock bumpers.

I had no intent on selling when I was doing these mods. :doh:

Yeah. ^ what they said.

Just keep it if you can and go and buy the 100 series. That way you can do all the crazy stuff that you want on the 80 and do the mild to super chill family stuff with the 100.

Btw. I recently bought my 1998 LX 470 for $10.5k.

If I had choice to spend $10.5k on a modified 3fe 80 series or a super clean 2 owner 100 series with 90k miles ......................

You know where I'm going with this.

Good luck.

The market is real crap IMHO and that's why opted to part mine out. It is a LOT of work and with a 13mo you may not have the time to be honest.

I would value your rig in the $6K range on paper and due to the relatively low mileage.

Also, I would open your mind to the GX470 instead of the 100 series. Yeah it's not labeled a Land Cruiser but it is newer looking, lighter, better gas mileage, & nice big V8 engine compared to a 100 series. These are the next HOT Toyota'ish 4x4 just like the 80's were 10 years ago and the 100's over the last 5 or so years. This is what I am getting.

Also, I would open your mind to the GX470 instead of the 100 series. Yeah it's not labeled a Land Cruiser but it is newer looking, lighter, better gas mileage, & nice big V8 engine compared to a 100 series. These are the next HOT Toyota'ish 4x4 just like the 80's were 10 years ago and the 100's over the last 5 or so years. This is what I am getting.

Not sure I agree with this. The GX is basically a 4runner with a v8 and some extra do-dads. I don't really care for the look either. Give me a 100/200 Land Cruiser anyday over an GX. In a few years when the 200s come down in price, that's what I am planning on getting.

If your going 100 series make it an 02+. They had the front diff issue fixed and it has the 5 speed automatic. Buying a 98-01 really isn't much better than a stock 80 series except for the V8 and milder ride quality.

I did the GX470 after looking for a 100 after selling my built 96' and I haven't regretted it once. Better fuel economy, better ride, and the gf can actually park it. :lol: If you don't like the look than a V8 4Runner might be visually more appealing? It's the same drive train as a 02+ 100 series without the dead weight.

I'm happy with my 03. I doubt my family and gear for a longer trip will fit in a GX. I may consider a small off-road trailer in the future, and in that case wouldn't need a full size truck. Maybe a GX460, but honestly I can't seem to like the GX470.

The market is real crap IMHO and that's why opted to part mine out. It is a LOT of work and with a 13mo you may not have the time to be honest.

I would value your rig in the $6K range on paper and due to the relatively low mileage.

It looks like you're parting out EVERYTHING on the rig. What are you going to do with the frame/body afterwards? How's the return, $ wise, so far on your part out? I've looked at the GX470 a little bit, the proportions on it look off to me, tall/narrow. Maybe I need to look/drive one in person and see.

If your going 100 series make it an 02+. They had the front diff issue fixed and it has the 5 speed automatic. Buying a 98-01 really isn't much better than a stock 80 series except for the V8 and milder ride quality.

I did the GX470 after looking for a 100 after selling my built 96' and I haven't regretted it once. Better fuel economy, better ride, and the gf can actually park it. :lol: If you don't like the look than a V8 4Runner might be visually more appealing? It's the same drive train as a 02+ 100 series without the dead weight.

For the 100-series I would definitely look for 03+ since it has the updated interior and 5-speed. Stopped looking at the moment but when I was there seems to be more LX out there then LC, will probably cross-shop with GX too. Driving a LX470 is a huge upgrade over my 3FE powered 80 though.

It looks like you're parting out EVERYTHING on the rig. What are you going to do with the frame/body afterwards? How's the return, $ wise, so far on your part out?

My goal was to make $6k partying it out and I am already over $5k and still have the head to sell. I am not parting it all the way so in the next couple of week I will see what a recycle and wrecking yard would give me then offer it up here on MUD for that price and someone can either use the frame, body, or even part it out the rest of the way.
I plan on making over $7k when I am done.

Yeah. The GX 470 is cool. I thought about getting one. I even contemplated selling "monk cruiser" and getting a GX 460. I read and read and read about both of the above vehicles. Interesting specs because Toyota/Lexus claimed the GX had slightly more room than 100 series.

I was really interested in the KDSS and Crawl Control systems on the 460. The least expensive GX I found at that time was $33k. Cool if you have the $$$bux$$$$, but my 80 and 100 are mo' betta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom