Valuation help! 1978 FJ 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, first time posting but long time watching and learning. I am looking at a FJ40 in AZ. Owner is asking for $5,000. It has rust. It needs a clutch. It has been sitting in the AZ sun and snow for 5 straight years. 98,000 miles. Terrible, hideous cutout in the roof for "picture taking". I feel like 5k is a little too much considering the condition it is in, but know nothing about the current value. I am not intending to completely restore it to youthful condition. It would just be a fun project car/daily driver to school for my teenage son. Can anyone offer some help and guidance? Thank you!
IMG_1550.jpg
IMG_1551.jpg
IMG_1552.jpg
1555a.jpg
IMG_1553.jpg

Last edited:
Multiple rats nests of wiring is pretty scary, and yeah the rust is fairly bad, but in today's market it's probably worth close to $5K. Offer him less, maybe a lot less, and see where it goes. Whoever cut that hole in the hard top should have all their toenails torn out with rusty pliers.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, there are random wires all over the place. It's all gonna need to be removed. There is a box of seashells in the back, looks like it's taken a few beach cruises. And the top is just plain wrong. I was thinking maybe enclose it with a solar panel to trickle charge the battery! Not sure what else could be done there. I'll probably go much lower and see what happens. Was wondering if worst case scenario I could part it out for 5k?

Thanks!

I'm no expert by any means, but body looks pretty good, except for the rear sill. Can't see floor panels or rear bed. Frame pics look okay to me. Wiring looks to be a mess. Engine looks fairly complete. Dash and instrument panel looks solid. If engine runs and it truly has 98k I think it's worth $5k

I'm no expert by any means, but body looks pretty good, except for the rear sill. Can't see floor panels or rear bed. Frame pics look okay to me. Wiring looks to be a mess. Engine looks fairly complete. Dash and instrument panel looks solid. If engine runs and it truly has 98k I think it's worth $5k
Thanks Godzirra!. The seller is the 2nd owner and has had it since 1982. Only had about 20k when he bought it and it appears to be sitting most of its life, certainly the last 5-10 years. The engine was running when he left it and it still turns over with a jump start. One other concern was that the brake fluid was totally empty. Not sure why that would happen?

Thanks again!

Well, if you are in it for the long haul, offer 4K and I believe you will not lose. Either way. But, if I had that I would begin the process , and, probably make it an original softop. There are good bones there.

That body doesn't "look" that bad... least the front sill plates and fenders appear to be in good condition. That wiring looks pretty bad though... I would also inspect the frame especially between mating metal surfaces, like the rear cross member.

Thanks Godzirra!. The seller is the 2nd owner and has had it since 1982. Only had about 20k when he bought it and it appears to be sitting most of its life, certainly the last 5-10 years. The engine was running when he left it and it still turns over with a jump start. One other concern was that the brake fluid was totally empty. Not sure why that would happen?

Thanks again!

In regards to the brake system, it's pretty common to get condensation on the master cylinder and wheel cylinders with the vehicle sitting as it has. This will cause pitting on the normally smooth surfaces of both. I had my master cylinder sleeved with stainless steel years ago and I haven't had any problems since.

If I was buying it, I would want to be in less than 5k. Complete body off restoration and you will have something you will never want to sell, so it wont matter how much you spend on it. I have a shoe box of receipts that I will never add up.

amen brother:beer:

Thanks for all the replies. I used to have an 80 series(don't know why I sold it, loved that thing), and we currently own a Lexus version of the 100 series that my wife drives and we will keep forever. Both are extremely reliable, tough, and amazing 4x4's. So I'm gonna push for a decent deal on this 40, but really like it and may end up paying more than I should. Maybe when the kid is ready to buy his own car I'll tear it down and restore it! You all are great! I appreciate the responses.

Living on the East Coast, that would be a good find. I would buy it with no hesitations. Then figure out what to do with it.

You might be better off with something like this unless you are into a project...well more of a project.

Same price (open to offers) and runs. (no affiliation)
For Sale - Western Colorado, 1964 FJ40

That said, I would want to get this for $4k or under. It's possible if you put gas in she runs, and top off brake master and it holds. Clean it up and you are into a solid bodied running late model FJ40 for cheap...but...there is usually a reason they are parked, and they almost always were "running when I parked it"

This could be quite the diamond in the rough if the body is solid and she runs. You'd be amazed what a weekend of power washing, deep cleaning, burning that hantavirus laden passenger seat cover, wire cleanup would do.

5k all day in my opinion as long as the doors are solid on the bottom and the cowl isn't in too bad of shape. That first photo looks like there may be some rust there. With that being said I say it would take another grand in parts alone to make it road worthy. Id plan for a whole new brake system and every seal in the engine/trans/tcase to be leaking. I'm sure the front axle needs a service as well. If you decide to pass on it send me the contact info I wouldn't mind taking a look at it when I'm back out that way in July

It looks largely unmolested, though the wiring, as mentioned, looks like a 4 year old did it. I agree a $4k offer is a good start. I'd buy it. ;)

I second offering 4K but would be willing to drop 5 if the seller doesn’t budge. You will always be able to sell it for what you paid as long as it’s in the same or better condition. Just get it running and stopping that thing will double in price.

Probably well worth the price. I got dibs on the cassette player! If you get it, let us know what that tape is hanging out of the player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom