VAIS: Just brought the 100 into the 21st Century (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.stokesignals.agency
A $68,000 (in 2006) luxury SUV with a tape deck? No MP3? I know, we've all bitched about this to some degree. But everything else makes up for it.

Yesterday, I drove the 100 on the first road trip since buying it - 500 miles (one way). I was dreading doing it with a tape deck, FM and CDs... well, that and the kids are used to Mom's car with XM, iPod and the DVD... kids today... I had VAIS send the components and dug in yesterday. I was stumped for a few minutes - their tech support was great - but overall, the install was easy and straightforward.

Now, I've got AM, FM, XM, CD, Tape & iPod - all controlled by the factory controls. I feel like the 100 was just dragged 10 years into the future... uhm... from the past into the current. ;)

Last edited:
AND THENNNNNNN?

Yeah, need to do that on the '05, it's really amazing how much I rely on SatRad&iPod in the '00.

Which set-up did you go with?

My 01 has the factory navigation, is it possible on that generation to get this set up, I mean I'm really missing my XM. The iPod I can live without, but I hate the FM around here.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

To integrate XM radio and use the factory SAT button I needed the SL2xD2 with XHD2H1 tuner. To integrate the iPod need I used the SL2i-UP. The iPod has other options - if you want video, etc.

The biggest challenge with installing this stuff was finding room in the dash for two small boxes about the size of an Altoids box, several long cables and two smaller boxes about 2" x 1" x 3/4". I've never seen the space behind a head unit so tight. Currently all the above is in the glove box - wired from the side. So it looks perfect... until you open the glove box. I wanted to make sure it all worked perfectly before spending the time (zip tying, velcroing, snaking, etc.) tucking all that stuff... somewhere.

rking... I looked through they application guide - it doesn't look like VAIS has anything for pre-'05 100s. But, check with them: info@vaistech.com

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I installed USA Spec Toy15 on my 02' LX with Nav and I now have XM and iPod/iPhone in the truck playing through the system. Not the perfect set-up since Toy15 wasn't made for the earlier years (back when I purchased mine, USA Spec advertised it would work with my year.) But great sound none the less. Much better than using FM or cassette. I don't get the information on the nav screen and you can only move up and down the playlists with the >> or << buttons, but volume works through the nav system and the music stops automatically when a call comes in. I usually let my wife run the music directly from the iPhone or I select a playlist before taking off. If you're good at driving and fiddling with your "toy" at the same time, (I know what you guys are thinking....) then you won't have any problems. For XM I'm using the Delphi Roady XT mounted in front of the center left vent with the cables going through the vent. I also had to use an inline filter/ground loop Isolator. It all will fit behind the trim around the radio/nav.

My cable for the iPhone goes through the ashtray where the cable is stored while not in use.

I spent some time with Tech-Support and they also sent me a Toy20, but that didn't work as advertised either.

Good luck!

I've been running the VAIS SL2i-UP in my 2004 for over a year and it continues to work awesome. I don't care about FM, just need my iPod!

To integrate XM radio and use the factory SAT button I needed the SL2xD2 with XHD2H1 tuner. To integrate the iPod need I used the SL2i-UP. The iPod has other options - if you want video, etc.

The biggest challenge with installing this stuff was finding room in the dash for two small boxes about the size of an Altoids box, several long cables and two smaller boxes about 2" x 1" x 3/4". I've never seen the space behind a head unit so tight. Currently all the above is in the glove box - wired from the side. So it looks perfect... until you open the glove box. I wanted to make sure it all worked perfectly before spending the time (zip tying, velcroing, snaking, etc.) tucking all that stuff... somewhere.

rking... I looked through they application guide - it doesn't look like VAIS has anything for pre-'05 100s. But, check with them: info@vaistech.com

I have the same setup as you (well - I think I have the second gen XM called SL2xmt instead of your 3rd gen SL2xD2, not sure what the diffs are) - I've used much better integrated units and aftermarket head units as you obviously have as well, so I know this is the bottom of the barrel in terms of tech, but at the end of the day I have satellite and ipod in the truck so I'm happy.

For ipod integration - I wish there were no limit of 99 playlists, 999 songs (yes I do have tons more than 99 playlists and 999 songs), I wish you could speed search (like search by first letter) and see a list of songs so you can scroll and see more than the one you're on, and I wish it displayed the whole title etc. Every once and a while the ipod doesn't work (like 2x a year) and I have to 'reboot' it.

For XM - every once and a while it thinks I'm not subscribed and only shows me the preview stations - resolves itself after the next startup (sucks while on the road though). I wish you could key in numbers for stations, and that you could navigate through genres better (you have to use the type buttons left and right to nav through the genres), and I wish you could cycle through Sat1-Sat3 without having to go through the AM (it causes the antennae to start to go up then down every time you go from Sat3 -> AM -> Sat1 - silly design).

You put the boxes in the glove box? I had mine installed at a dealership when I bought mine (part of the deal) and at least 2 of the boxes are behind the MFD (nav screen). It is extremely tight back there - I've had to pull it out a couple times due to other issues and have had difficulty getting it all stuffed back in. I've wondered if there was a 'secret' to getting it all tucked back in but hard to describe without looking at it and pointing out the options of how to stack the boxes and cables or where to stuff the boxes (under mfd, to the side of mfd, directly behind).

Would be great to see if you've got pics of the install.

With VAIS, you all know how to manually control through the IPOD though.. right? The songs will no longer show on the navigation screen, but now you can use your IPOD as if it wasn't connected. (If not, hit audio. You will see "scan" on the screen. Hit this on screen button off and on 7 times. You will hear a beep. Now it is on simple playback, where you use the IPOD. You can still use the steering wheel controls as well)

I installed the VAIS SLI2-UP on my 2004 LX a few weeks back. I found the easiest place to install the box is under the center console in between the AHC controls and transfer case shifter. Plenty of space and you have to open that to run your ipod cable anyway. I wrapped the box in foam so it will not rattle. The center console is also a lot faster/easier to remove than the radio/nav stack in case i need to get to the VAIS box in the future.

Pictures attached...not as clear as i had hoped but maybe better than nothing.

Still looking for a good iphone4 mount. May get one from Ram.
image-2151474427.jpg
image-3226628198.jpg
image-823536033.jpg
image-1515005169.jpg
image-2348368536.jpg

Nice. I stepped into the iPhone 4 world today, so this may be on my to-do list... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom