vacuum pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is it and what does it do. I see people talking about them connected to the alternator and was wondering what happens too them and what they are for. I have the 12-ht motor if that helps.

BURGER said:
What is it and what does it do. .
It is a vacuum pump and it sucks!
They eventually wear out. I imagine there could be a rebuild kit offered for them somewhere.
A diesel does not provide vacuum for your brake booster so a pump is required. On the 12ht it is on the alternator.

So the only thing it does is provide vaccum to the brake booster?

Has anyone done a swap of some sort to omit this from the alt assembly and mount it somewhere else?

Check out NAPA. you could possibly get an electrical replacement. Its probably going to take up some space. I did see an FJ60 with a 3B and an alternate pump once. I believe he got it at NAPA.

I know lots of folks don't like the vacuum pump on the altenator but Toyota is not the only one doing it. Touch wood, I've NEVER had a problem with mine and I'm at 436,000kM's on my BJ60. I'd worry more about the frame giving up than the vacuum pump!!

The way I look at it there are 2 things wrong with having it that way. One is that it is very expensive to replace. The other is if you want a more powerful alternator it severly limits your options. Otherwise I like it!

They do give out once in a while...but it is not too common.

I wonder how much the regular maintenance of oil changes effects a pumps life and the spline on the shaft (the vacuum pump is in an oil bath, and has four veins that run in the housing).

We now has access to new shafts, and we currently are getting an alternator rebuilt that had pooched splines.

http://www.gscruiserparts.com/Inventory Accessories.html

The page needs to be updated with this information, and will be when we get the alternator back.

hth's

gb

Last edited:
The vacuum pump kit here in Oz is app $25. 00 Aussie dollars. I have just put bigger callipers and total rear drum &liner replacement on my Hj75 2H..Was having trouble as I had no booster pressure,I thought the booster was ok as it held vacuum for days at a time. I approached Stewarts 4wd with the problem and was told," bet anything its your booster,very seldom the pump is a problem". Bought another booster, problem solved.

bigbrowndog said:
The vacuum pump kit here in Oz is app $25. 00 Aussie dollars.

Hi bbd.

What comes with the kit? New o-ring and veins?

What we see in Canada from time to time is the spline on the alt shaft that the pump spins on gets stripped out. Like you mention, not often, but once in a while.

Thanks

gb

From what I remember of what he said 2 O rings and some rubber veins, not much.I ended up buying a replacement hose and that was $57.75. Pehaps Pirtec or someone could have made me one cheaper. Will see if I can find one on the net here. cheers.

Thanks for the replys. Very good site bigbrowndog.

Scan10034.jpg

bigbrowndog said:
The vacuum pump kit here in Oz is app $25. 00 Aussie dollars. I have just put bigger callipers and total rear drum &liner replacement on my Hj75 2H..Was having trouble as I had no booster pressure,I thought the booster was ok as it held vacuum for days at a time. I approached Stewarts 4wd with the problem and was told," bet anything its your booster,very seldom the pump is a problem". Bought another booster, problem solved.

:eek:
At least now you have a completely rebuilt brake system, LOL.

Dave

I have 2 one for 3B alternator ( spare but not function in my alternator ) and other for my 2H ( already intalled ) all sucks .. I find in summit a vacum pump about 350 USD .. :oops: to much $$ for a vacumm pump .. but I wana know if in napa I can find other one but with better price .. ?

Well the good news is that on the later Diesel engines the pump is seperate and not on the alternator my 1HD-FT has a seperate pump. So I think they saw that over time it was better to put it as a seperat item. I personally think they put it on the back of the alternator because there was not much room for one more thing hooked to a belt on the front of the engine. Must my 2cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom