vacuum lines same as brake lines? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1969FJ40. Does anyone know if the compression fitting vacuum lines are the same as the brake lines? Additionaly, would anyone have any idea what the threading is on the vacuum compression fittings?

Hmm. All the vacuum lines on my 71 are hose clamped.

Yeah, I noticed in the SOR catalog, that newer models have the hose clamps, which would be nice, because I wouldn't have them stripped out! I guess I could convert over. A machinist friend is looking at boring out the threads, inserting and pinning a metal sleeve and rethreading the sleeve.

Are you talking about the vaccum line that runs the TC? I just took my 69 apart and I believe they are the same. If you need fittings let me know. I'm nuking mine. They are different than later trucks.

Ohh, betcher right. I forgot about those metal ones. Yep, bet they are the same. 10 mm line wrench.

Yo pappy Iwould be interested in your old vacuum shifter. Are the threads in decent shape? I'd even take the line fittings too since they are an odd metric pitch. What do want for them? Are you switching over to a manual in-the-cab floor shifter? I being a bit romantic right now and trying to keep some things authentic, including the column shifter. I'm sure that desire will wear off in time. I even fixed/ welded the underseat tool box so as to keep it!

Hey, Travis, that column shift is great if you have bench seats. Allows 3 persons in front.

Yeah, I thought it would be fun to maintain some old relic like the column shifter which you rarely see. Plus it reminds me of my friend's Dad's truck we use to beat on as kids which had a column shifter. So maybe my kids will have a chance to use one. Plus Ido like having the extra front seat space. If only I can get the misses to ride in it! ha ha

I'm having a ball teaching my 13 y/o daughter to drive my column shift. It's just a neat thing.

I have four boys (oldest is only 11) I'm sure they'll have fun bombing through our farm fields with this thing. TOO much fun! ha ha

[quote author=Travis_Kinney link=board=1;threadid=10679;start=msg96293#msg96293 date=1075302888]
Yo pappy Iwould be interested in your old vacuum shifter. Are the threads in decent shape? I'd even take the line fittings too since they are an odd metric pitch. What do want for them? Are you switching over to a manual in-the-cab floor shifter? I being a bit romantic right now and trying to keep some things authentic, including the column shifter. I'm sure that desire will wear off in time. I even fixed/ welded the underseat tool box so as to keep it!
[/quote]

Travis,

I believe I have most of the stuff. The only parts I might not have go from the firewall to the tc. I have the shifter, lines (uncut), etc. I'll take some pics tonight and send you a pm. If you want pm me your email and I'll take the server out of the loop. No idea what I would want. Usually use half of SOR as a start. I'm going to a 4 speed and a split case, floor shift of course.

Jon

I still have the colume shift on my fj45(but disc brakes and 2f).......I kinda like it but with 35" tires 1st gear just don't cut it sometimes, I have been on hills(stoped heading up) in downtown Tacoma and have had to drop it into 2 low.......then 1-2-3, push dash lever back in.......1-2-3.....takes a bit of talent and alot of foot and arm movement...;)

[quote author=Travis_Kinney link=board=1;threadid=10679;start=msg96357#msg96357 date=1075311873]
Yeah, I thought it would be fun to maintain some old relic like the column shifter which you rarely see. Plus it reminds me of my friend's Dad's truck we use to beat on as kids which had a column shifter. So maybe my kids will have a chance to use one. Plus Ido like having the extra front seat space. If only I can get the misses to ride in it! ha ha
[/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom