1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vacuum in diff and tranny???

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Freewheel, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Freewheel

Freewheel

Media:
    Hey all,
    I was checking fluids and when I pulled the fill plug on my rear diff, there was a short phffft of air sucking in to the diff. Does this mean my breather isn't working? Same thing happened on the tranny ( which recently had all it's seals replaced) Is this normal or should I get paranoid??
    Thanks...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  2. NocalFJ60

NocalFJ60

Media:
    Albums:
    I would pull the end of the breather apart and make sure the line is clear. It is nothing I would worry about.

3. KLF

KLF Frame waxer SILVER Star

It's not a huge problem, but it is something that should be fixed as soon as you can get to it. It can cause premature failure of the seals, as they will then have to maintain the pressure differential that they are not designed to see like they are now. In worst case situations, it can cause water to be pulled into the axles and tranny/t-case.

4. Japan4X4

Japan4X4

HJ60 eh... vacuum shifter on the transfer or a L shaped shift pattern?

5. Freewheel

Freewheel

Media:
    Thanks for your comments - I'll look at it today.

Japan 4x4 - I believe it's a vacuum shifter (4x4 button on dash) What are you thinking?

6. Freewheel

Freewheel

Media:
    Hey Japan 4x4 - bump

7. 2mbb

2mbb SILVER Star

As far as I know the 5speed vents through the top of the gear case where the shifter is. I'm suprised that the transmission will hold a vacuum. Check the inner shifter boot may have a small vent hole in it--I don't remember.

I was having problems with oil leaking from the transmission into the transfer case. I replaced the seals a couple of times. I never really figured out what it was, but the last time I removed the OEM vent for the transfer case, threaded the hole and installed a hose barb. I ran a breather hose up into the engine compartment. The oil leaking problem didn't return. The OEM vent for the transfer case is in a very difficult location to get to--I had to remove my tranfer case to get to it, if you're going to that trouble, you might think about replacing it with a breather tube. I don't know if you can get to the breather by removing the transmission tunnel cover, but that's a big job too.

Good Luck.

8. Freewheel

Freewheel

Media:
    Hmm, I just had the tranny and transfer resealed 2 months - I'll phone my guy and see if he checked the breather. He's very good, but it was his second cruiser job in twenty years so he's not up on the specific peculiarities of the Toyota.
    Thanks 2mbb