Vacuum hoses FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello to all,

It's time to replace all of the vacuum hoses on my '86 FJ60. Does anybody know how many feet (approximately) I need to buy to complete the job? I think the two sizes I need are 3.0 and 5.5mm ID but I really have no idea how much to buy. I'd hate to get 9/10ths of the way done and then have to go back to the parts store. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Brad

45 Feet!

I just did this about a month ago. I purchased red silicon hose from McMaster-Carr. I purchased 35 feet of 3mm, and 10 feet of 6mm which worked fine. I had 3 inches of 3mm left when I was done. I barely made it. I had about 3 feet of 6mm left. So, at least 35 feet of the small stuff.

Oh, and be careful taking the old hose of plastic nipples, like on the VTVs, etc. I busted one going too fast. They are brittle after all of those heating cycles.

mind sharing the catalog page number from mcmaster-carr that you ordered from?

vacuum hose

Matador 98...thanks for your reply. I'll be ordering the necessary hose and getting to work. Thanks again!

loeky said:
mind sharing the catalog page number from mcmaster-carr that you ordered from?

Catalog Page 98.....I ordered the firm.

Just search for 5041K52 or 5041K54...which are the numbers for the firm 3 and 6 mm respectively. Then you select the color you want...and the part numbers change slightly, but that will get you started. Since I ordered red, I ordered 35 feet total of 5041k22 and 10 of 5041K24. That should take care of you.

If you go to order the red...note that it isn't really a true red...more of a brownish red...so it would work for brown or tan colors as well. It looks fine in my dirty ass freeborn red engine compartment.

Silicone Rubber Tubing
Click to change image size
• Temp. Range: -94° to +392° F
• Use with food, beverage, chemicals, water
• Color: See below
• Durometer, Shore A: Soft & NSF-51 Soft: 50

• Durometer, Shore A: Firm: 70;
• Tensile Strength: Firm: 1350 psi;
Soft and NSF-51 Soft: 1100 psi
• Elongation: 375%
• Material Meets: FDA (food and beverage),
Firm: ASTM D2000 M7GE 707; Soft and
NSF-51 Soft: ASTM D2000 M3GE507
• Fittings: Barbed (see pages 111-118 )
Able to handle more extreme temperatures than natural rubber, this synthetic rubber tubing maintains its flexibility and resiliency over time, making it a good choice for peristaltic pumps. It won't impart odors and tastes. Peroxide used in the forming (curing) process. Sterilization rated for steam (autoclave). Soft— The softest silicone we offer. NSF-51 Soft— Lengths are individually bagged to meet NSF-51 (food) rating for material. Color is semi-clear (translucent) white. To Order: Please specify length from the available lengths listed. For Firm and Soft tubing please specify color: opaque black or red, or semi-clear (translucent) blue or white.

thanks a bunch for the info matador. placing my order now.

Matador98,

I just wanted to get an update on the slicone vacum hose status. I noticed that McMaster-Carr mention anything about vacuum as far as the hoses are concerned. Did the hoses do the job?

I used the same hoses awhile back and they work great.

OEM inside diameters are 3.5mm and 5.5mm respectively. You will want to have on hand approximately 40' of the 3.5 mm and about 6'-8' of the 5.5 mm. If rubber, wall thickness and durometer should be similar to OEM to maintain factory deformation specs. Going with something softer and/or thinner may cause your tubing to collapse under heavy vacuum and render those lines affected useless until the demand is reduced and they can recover.

Silicone hose is a different beast. Has different properties and heat characteristics. Will outlast rubber. Good hose supplier should be able to recommend suitable silicone replacement based on the specs of the OEM stuff.
Check out:
http://www.hosetechniques.com/before_after_pictures.tpl?catalog=18795&cart=11484935026618269

HTH,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

I've had the McMaster-Carr silicone hose on for about a year with no problems as far as vacuum or heat are concerned. The stuff is thick walled and does not collapse when you pull a vacuum on it.

The ID seems like it is a little smaller than OEM and the OD seems like it's a bit larger than OEM (hence the thick wall). Because of this, it can be tough to pull the hose off of fittings and it doesn't quite want to snap into the various routing clips. This is a minor annoyance though.

dogboy2 said:
OEM inside diameters are 3.5mm and 5.5mm respectively. You will want to have on hand approximately 40' of the 3.5 mm and about 6'-8' of the 5.5 mm. If rubber, wall thickness and durometer should be similar to OEM to maintain factory deformation specs. Going with something softer and/or thinner may cause your tubing to collapse under heavy vacuum and render those lines affected useless until the demand is reduced and they can recover.

Silicone hose is a different beast. Has different properties and heat characteristics. Will outlast rubber. Good hose supplier should be able to recommend suitable silicone replacement based on the specs of the OEM stuff.
Check out:
http://www.hosetechniques.com/before_after_pictures.tpl?catalog=18795&cart=11484935026618269

HTH,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

I bought the hosetech kit for the 84 fj60 a couple of months ago, still haven't installed it but this is my 2nd kit I've bought (I got one about 1 year ago for 2001 tacoma.) I've only heard good things about silicone hoses.

I've had my mcmaster carr silicone hose on for at least six years. No problems. Aside from some external dirt, it's still as good as new. Previously, I had installed the standard buna rubber silicone hose. That lasted less than one year before it hardened and started to crack. Silicone or siliconized (OEM) is the only way to go.

The 3.5mm vacuum hoses that I've replaced on my FJ60 was with the 51135K15 from mcmaster.com. They are about the same OD (outer diameter) as the original hoses, and the ID (inner diameter) is slightly smaller than the original. (You can do the conversion from inches to mm and see for yourself.)

This gives a super snug fit so that you know NO AIR is leaking past the hoses and the hoses won't accidentally fall off.

Is the vacuum hose they sell at NAPA and Advance, etc. no good? Should I order from mcmasters?

Thanks! Suffering the <1000rpm stall so I'm going to try replacing the hoses.
@nigrainger, what size are you looking for? I have a 10' packet from summit of black 3mm brand is turbosmart. I went with blue. Lmk if you want it.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll probably go all-black. Appreciate it.
Ok but it is black. I chose to not use it and go w/ blue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom