vacuum hose on distributor cap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I havent seen this post yet. Why is there a vacuum hose going into my distributor cap. It looks factory. All I have is the Chilton manual and it does not address this hose. Help please.

One of the hoses runs up to the firewall which is a vent from inside the cabin so it gets cleaner dry air.

Itsadryheat!!! said:
I think this hose pulls vacuum all the time. Not like a vent.

Yep,it sounds like the vacumm advance ,it pulls the plate inside the distributor around to advance the timing as the revs build up.

The other end should plug into the base of the carb.
To see if its working unplug it at the carb and suck on it. It should move something in the distributor.

Itsadryheat!!! said:
I think this hose pulls vacuum all the time. Not like a vent.

You talking on the cap or on the side of the distributor?

The hoses on top of the distributor pull any moisture out of the cap. There is a filter on the firewall and a couple VSV's to keep it from being a vacuum "leak".

HTH,
Nick

With the engine idling, make sure that one of the vac hoses attaching to the dist is pulling a vacuum, and the other(the one from the firewall/body) has free flow fresh air. If this vent system is not functioning, the eventual result is a destroyed signal generator in the dist, at which point the car won't start/run. Don't ask how I know this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom