Vacuum brake pump BJ70 (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi!
My mechanic told me that probably i should change my vacuum brake pump (produces low vacuum) on my BJ70. I found this part here:
Brake pump
but i am not sure if this will fit because it looks quite different then the orginal mounted (see picture). Does anybody have any experience with that? Do you think this will solve my poor braking?
Thanks for your help in advance. BR Sigi
IMG-8867.JPG

Hi!
My mechanic told me that probably i should change my vacuum brake pump (produces low vacuum) on my BJ70. I found this part here:
Brake pump
but i am not sure if this will fit because it looks quite different then the orginal mounted (see picture). Does anybody have any experience with that? Do you think this will solve my poor braking?
Thanks for your help in advance. BR SigiView attachment 2428478
Yeah so different, you pump is at back in alternador and the other going install at front, on timing gear cover (HZ).
im not sure number part of it. someone will give you this info.

PD: 2H 24V Alternator/vacuum pump sources

Last edited:
I believe the original 3B/13BT had a stand alone vacuum pump run off of a belt. I would probably check other things first like integrity of hoses and those vacuum canisters.

Vacuum pump runs off of the back of the alternator as shown in the above pics. There is a splined shaft coming off of the back of the alternator that runs the rotor inside of the vacuum pump.

I don't think you can buy the part that fits to the back of the alternator. Some owners have used an electric pump. Or there are more expensive options like generic alternators with pumps. Easier if you have a 12v BJ70

Before you did you change it, did you mechanical check for leaks? The pumps themselves are extremely reliable, unless you engine is poorly serviced (oil changes). Vacuum leaks are very common, the pump should pull down to 22- 28 inHG and hold it when the engine is turned off, check this first. Both my 70s had vac leaks, once fixed, brakes/clutch were significantly better.

Thanks to all for the answers! You are a great community. Probably the best will be to recheck everything before changing anything. The problem is, that i live in Transylvania in the Carpathian mountains, and there is not really a mec which has any experience whit this beauty.
Beside this i just recognized, that the 3B motor has two version of the vacuum pump...the first i found was the wrong one....the right one has the part number 29300-56070 and not 29300-58050. Unfortunately the right one is the older one and hard to get if needed...

I don't think you can buy the part that fits to the back of the alternator. Some owners have used an electric pump. Or there are more expensive options like generic alternators with pumps. Easier if you have a 12v BJ70

They are available in the aftermarket.

I took mine off and took it apart to fit new blades on the pump. I measured the old and new blades and found the old ones had not worn at all...they seemed brand new. That pump should be bathed in oil all the time so the parts don't wear much.

I had to replace a metal vacuum line that had rusted. This solved all my vacuum problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom