Vacuum Advance Distributor??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '77 FJ-40's 2F dosen't seem to be vacuum advancing (at all). Starts quick, runs smooth, but stumbles at initial throttle and lacks power as the RPM's go up. At highway speed, grades really labor the engine and pings occasionally chime in. The smog stuff's gone, and it definitely IS an advance dist. The carb is new and all lines appear to be OK. My timing is all over the place under the light. The advance mechanism under the cap won't budge...it should, by hand...right? I think my best option is to fork the $$$ for electronic ignition on a NEW VA dist. I'm looking seriously at the Downey '77 and older VA with the Flame Thrower ignition/coil. Any thoughts?

I have the same problems with my desmogged 77, except my timing is pretty much consistant. Have you thought about a non-US distributor from Nardek? I've never done business with them, but I've been thinking about it.

http://www.nardek.com.au/

The Nardek unit looks good - I guess it's vacuum advance??? Best I can tell from the website, it is. The price is actually cheaper than Downey cause the shipping is included (a little over $200 US). I would assume that I could easily upgrade the unit to electronic ignition. Anyone know more about these distributors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom