Vacuum AC system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doomed to start over with pulling vacuum lol. Not a big deal. Just gotta pop off the 134 fittings, unscrew the valve cores from the R12 fittings and pop the new ones back on. Not taking them out will keep you from pulling a vacuum on the actual system and will prevent you from getting any freon into it through the service fittings.

So as it turns out, you were pulling a vacuum only on the hoses from the gauge set :rofl:

How rude! Okay...
Well I followed the packaging steps with the retrofit and the adapter for the low side has the valve stem inside it already ...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

How rude! Okay...
Well I followed the packaging steps with the retrofit and the adapter for the low side has the valve stem inside it already ...

View attachment 2350394

View attachment 2350395

View attachment 2350396

View attachment 2350397
Huh, that's weird. Those are way longer than the adapters I used. I got mine from O'reilly's (Murray brand adapters) and they both had valve cores in them so they required the R12 fittings to have their valve cores removed. I suspect the ones you have may not be the ideal ones for our application.

Huh, that's weird. Those are way longer than the adapters I used. I got mine from O'reilly's (Murray brand adapters) and they both had valve cores in them so they required the R12 fittings to have their valve cores removed. I suspect the ones you have may not be the ideal ones for our application.

would you mind possibly linking me to what you have?

would you mind possibly linking me to what you have?
Sorry just got back on after dinner, pool time, stories etc. with my kids. Gimme a few minutes lemme look em up. I saw the exact kit you got when I was at O'reilly's earlier, and those fittings definitely don't look like mine.

Sorry just got back on after dinner, pool time, stories etc. with my kids. Gimme a few minutes lemme look em up. I saw the exact kit you got when I was at O'reilly's earlier, and those fittings definitely don't look like mine.
So the gauges have been on for the same time as last night .. near 12 hours, at this point yesterday the low side started losing pressure.
Right now both sides are holding pressure.

Im leaning to the adapters working and it is pressurizing. I say this cause yesterday it makes sense that the high side dropped and then it slowly equalized with the low side...
saying that i guess I just want it to be so too!

Okay just found them again. They're the Murray Climate Control brand, P/N 59978 for the high side fitting, and P/N 59976 for the low side. Work great for me. They do have their own valve stems in them, so the existing valve stems in the R12 fittings DO have to come out before putting these on.

Installed on my compressor:

Fittings 01.jpg

With the service adapters I ordered. I like these adapters because they have manual valves on them as well so I can close it right at the service fitting before popping them off.

Fittings 02.jpg

Okay okay okay.
So I tested the valves and it was okay.. I reinserted the gauges it read the same values so I added Freon and it came back to life!!!!!
But I also found the leak.. the high side is spitting .

Sooo how do I clear the Freon now?

I have new ports to install :(

Okay okay okay.
So I tested the valves and it was okay.. I reinserted the gauges it read the same values so I added Freon and it came back to life!!!!!
But I also found the leak.. the high side is spitting .

Sooo how do I clear the Freon now?

I have new ports to install :(
Where was it spitting from?

Where was it spitting from?

from the high side plug on the compressor. It’s still working.
I’ll just replace the whole fitting and nipple when it finally degasses itself!

thanks again for all your help guys!

from the high side plug on the compressor. It’s still working.
I’ll just replace the whole fitting and nipple when it finally degasses itself!

thanks again for all your help guys!
Bit of a tip: if you want to minimize oil loss, loosen the low pressure fitting juuuuuuust enough to hear a faint hiss as the refrigerant escapes, then give it several hours to depressurize. This will prevent a rapid drop of pressure that would otherwise pull oil out the opening with it. Whether you stuck with the 134a fittings you originally bought or switched to the ones I linked, make sure the valve cores in them are snug before pressurizing the system too. I'm not sure what made me think to double check mine before installing them (rare moment of foresight I guess), but both were loose enough that I doubt they would've sealed properly once the system was pressurized. If, after ensuring they're snug they still spit a bit once you've serviced the system and removed the service adapters, give the valve cores a quick (and I mean real quick) pop with a small screwdriver to just force them to reseat. That usually will do the trick unless the valve core is actually bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom