VA safety inspection - do they care about CEL? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
I still have no idea how any of these VA inspections work - since I'm over 25 years, I think I don't have to do an emissions inspection, but I do have a CEL (I just really don't wanna replace my VSV until its above 70 again lol) and I need to get the safety inspection done before I get registered next week. The official stuff I read online doesn't mention CELs specifically - does anyone know if they'll reject me for it?

Clear the code with a cheap code reader from auto zone, right before you go for the inspection. If they don't check emissions, they probably(?) don't hook up to the OBD port and, in that case, you'd be fine.
The code is usually like a 5-trip (start, drive, turn off is one trip) memory, as in if you clear the code just before going to get inspected, they will see that there was a code and it was cleared.
@matzell or @OTRAMM can answer this better.

Clear the code with a cheap code reader from auto zone, right before you go for the inspection. If they don't check emissions, they probably(?) don't hook up to the OBD port and, in that case, you'd be fine.
The code is usually like a 5-trip (start, drive, turn off is one trip) memory, as in if you clear the code just before going to get inspected, they will see that there was a code and it was cleared.
@matzell or @OTRAMM can answer this better.
I do not put a scanner on it, I look for Air Bag and Red Brake light

down here they look for CEL because they want to charge you the $75 scan fee.

You should be fine my daughters Focus has a CEL just passed inspection.

My '95 Taco's airbag light has a mind of its own. Especially when it's cold. Last week, it decided to shine on the way to the safety inspection.

I've been going to this place for about 15 years. We talked about how it's supposed to be a fail. But as we chatted it went off on its own.
He wasn't going to fail me for it, but it's like the truck just wanted to have some fun with me. Like the coolant problem hasn't been enough this year.

25 year old airbags shouldn't be relied upon as a safety device, IMO. Heck, my '86 190E Merc has a sticker on the door jamb reminding me of the airbag replacement that was due in 1996 and every ten years thereafter.

I asked @Onur about the airbags in the 80 series several years ago. I was curious if a brand new airbag for an 80 would have any newer technology or parts and essentially he said it'd be exactly the same as an airbag back in 1997, just built more recently. I'm sure this is a liability thing but you'd think manufacturers would be able to update parts like this as the technology gets better over time. I still feel like there'd be upside to swapping out 23 year old airbags for newly manufactured versions even if will be 23 year old technology.

I still feel like there'd be upside to swapping out 23 year old airbags for newly manufactured versions even if will be 23 year old technology.

Considering that Michelin recommends a thorough yearly inspection of tires after five years and a maximum of ten years for tires, you'd think that there would be a similar requirement for airbags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom