1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VA fog light install?

Discussion in 'VA/DC/MD- Capital Land Cruiser Club' started by Cruiser804, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Cruiser804

Cruiser804 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Finally getting around to installing my JDM fogs on the 80. I was planning just running them with a relay and OEM switch via battery etc..

I wasn't planning to wire them in to the factory lighting. i found this VA state inspection guide on the VA state website. Is this blurb saying they have to be wired to the factory lights? Anyone know?

Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 8.47.11 PM.png

2. emorth

emorth

Two different requirements
    1 - if the fog lights are on the tail & marker lights have to be lit. Thus wired into tail lights.
    2 - max number of head and fog lights is 4. If 4 head lights the fog lights must go off when the high beams are on. If two headlights the fog lights can stay on when the high beams are on.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  3. emorth

emorth

If you have 4 headlights, there is a tricky way to wire the relay to get both the tail light on and high beam disable functions. Let me know if you want the schematic.

4. Cruiser804

Cruiser804 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Ugh. Thanks Ed, thats what I was a afraid of.

This is for my 80 which, I believe, is two headlight (unless I am totally confused). I was planning on using this relay box. Supposed to simplify the install. Haha.

Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 11.43.24 PM.png

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  5. emorth

emorth

OK, you will need to add an additional relay. See bottom schematic. If you can make it to the meeting next week I will have one for you. Here are the mods. Note the black letters on the OEM schematics to show the connection points. Make sense???

Headlight sch.jpg
    Tail light sch.jpg

Relay box.jpg

Head light relay.jpg

76FJ40 likes this.
  6. Cruiser804

Cruiser804 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Well shoot. Thanks Ed. I bought the relay box to try and clean up the growing wire mess at the battery. Slee makes a plug and play upgrade and aux light harness. If I'm not using the box I might just go that way.

That said, i'll check the calendar regarding the meeting. Next week is my fist full week of work since the end of August. If the calendar is clear and I'm feeling up to it I'll head out there with the Slee docs. I'll show you want I'm thinking and you can tell me if I'm confused.

7. emorth

emorth

Sounds good. Hope to see you Wednesday.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">