VA Benefits/Military Disability lawyers?

Discussion in 'Veterans Highway' started by aaronrules, Oct 1, 2018.

1. aaronrules

aaronrules Coolest person you know! SILVER Star

Albums:
    This is a shot a in the dark. I am in the guard (for now) and I filed for VA disability and received a rating for my PTSD as well as some other things. My guard unit sent my paperwork for my military disability and it came back as “non-duty” related. I am looking for someone who has had experience with representation to fight what the military has ruled about my disability.

If you all know of a good person or place, please let me know.

Thanks.

2. 1969FJ

1969FJ

I am a veteran with no knowledge about this. What it sounds like is they are saying your issues were from "non duty" issues. I have a friend who was injured in a car accident while on active duty and he receives no disability at all. Even though he is disabled. At least no VA disability that is. Have you served in a combat zone ?

3. Helipilot

Helipilot SILVER Star

I know a guy who was on his motorcycle on base and was struck broadside by an auto. Really messed up his right leg and he is drawing 100% or so he says. I can't verify that but that is his story.

Depending on where you were injured and what you were doing will say a lot to the rating folks. Where did you get your PTSD from, in theater or stateside?

4. Helipilot

Helipilot SILVER Star

Follow up to your previous post; https://themilitarywallet.com/va-disability-pay-rates-rise/ THey have some good information on the pathway to your ratings by the VA. Most of it refers to federal active duty. I know the national guard, unless activated under Title 10, are not eligible as technically you are considered a state employee. I could be wrong so check with other people who may know for sure.

5. aaronrules

aaronrules Coolest person you know! SILVER Star

Albums:
    My PTSD came from being on Title 10 orders in Afganistan. I have an overall rating of 70% from the VA, but I have not fully gone through the military disability system, other than them coming back with the non-duty rating. The letter says that when was coming out of theater, I said I was ok, and during a web based physical health assessment later on, I said I was ok. The letter states that because I deployed three times as a contractor, and I said I was ok after my military deployment, it's a non duty disability.
    I haven't read up on the DSM-V lately but I am pretty certain it says that symptoms from PTSD can present themselves many years later as they have with me.

Anyway, this is a thread asking if anyone has any experience with legal representation in regards to the military disability system.

6. Helipilot

Helipilot SILVER Star

Sorry to confuse the situation. My son, a highly decorated combat medic, came back from Iraq with some serious issues. The VA said nothing was wrong with him and he was Title 10 at the time as well. We spent about $122,000 of our own money getting him private treatment and counseling. I hired our attorney and he suggested we start a three ring binder detailing everything including photographs, orders, counseling notes, medical notes, receipts, and anything else we could think of. After about a month we had everything put together and our attorney got with the DAV and the American Legion reps and then he made his move. The first rating was 60%. He went back and after he knocked their dick in the dirt they came back with a 100%, 90% disability and 10% unemployable. It is fair as he cannot work due to injuries sustained in the 21 day firefight in Fallujah.

That is what we did and it has proven to be a good thing. He is married and has a child but still has issues but he is dealing with them. I wish you good luck.

Big Ed likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.