V8 w carb on fj62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am very close to pulling the trigger on a v8 swap for my 89fj62. First off I live in a non emissions area and do 90% of all my wheeling in remote desert areas pulling a m416 trailer. So I got to thinking, what if I swapped in a simple 350 with a carb into my 62?

Theoretically it would be simpler to swap, easy to maintain, and very reliable. I would also think it would be just a hair less money since an injection harness, high pressure fuel pump and re flashed ECM would not be necessary. I realize mpg would be less than a 5.3 vortec but I don't think it would be an issue if I could stay close to the factory 11-12 mpg. With a 700r4 or other overdrive tranny I think this could be achievable. I would not be looking for a stump pulling torque monster just a 275ish hp engine mildly built with an eye towards reliability.

Thoughts on a carbed v8 vs a 5.3 vortec in my application?

You can easily convert the Gen III engines to carb. setup... thats the route I would take for sure.

I think carb setup is sweet, but ultimately I decided to go F.I. because I routinely go from sea level to 8K+ feet elevation. Also cant complain about 18 mpg.

the clear answer is yes.

you might be able to find a 7004R w/5.7 out of a pickup that would be a good candidate for a swap...and even if it has TBI it would not be hard or expensive to get up and running, or simply install a carb and intake. IF you go carb you probally want to go old school 5.7, due to transmissions controls if you are trying to avoid electronics.

there are a number of engine swap threads in the 60 section here. Carb limitation is or can be ease of start, fuel milage, power. But if you are looking for an easy solution and don't do any crazy hill climbs a carb is a good solution for the $$

I have a carb 350 in mine with absolutely no emission stuff on it. Headers straight back into mufflers and all. One thing I do love the most about it is ease of use. When I was out at sour grass a couple months ago I lost an alternator. I was able to go easily 25mi to the nearest auto parts store for a new one. Try that on an electric fuel pumped motor.

Currently I get 12-14 mpg so its not to bad. I am looking to go to tbi soon though as hill descents are not fun when the carb starts puttering out.

You can pick up a running motor in good condition for super cheap all day long. Wiring is easy and install is easy.

I have that setup. I'm getting 9-12mpg with a torque converter that isn't locking and probably costing me a mpg or two. 4.10s and 31" tires. I like it okay...I have a TPI setup in the garage that will go on eventually.

I have a carb 350 in mine with absolutely no emission stuff on it. Headers straight back into mufflers and all. One thing I do love the most about it is ease of use. When I was out at sour grass a couple months ago I lost an alternator. I was able to go easily 25mi to the nearest auto parts store for a new one. Try that on an electric fuel pumped motor.

Currently I get 12-14 mpg so its not to bad. I am looking to go to tbi soon though as hill descents are not fun when the carb starts puttering out.
Considering most FJ sized batteries are rated at 90-150 minutes reserve capacity with a 25 amp load, an EFI system could easily go over a hundred miles if you kept the radio and headlights off. Probably at least 40-50 miles with the low beams on.

If you want the simplest install you can do, I suppose a carb'd 350 would be the way to go, but I'm personally a big fan of EFI.

There were precious few production 350s that actually made 275 HP or more. Even the TBI motors were only 220 at best, most were around 180 to 190. The good news is the availability of uber cheap parts to make them run better. I would reccomend looking for a roller lifter block, that way you won't have to worry about the ZDDP content of your motor oils so much. Heads are the biggest factor in determining the output of the motor, TBI heads are just plain horrible in the flow department, I would aviod them like you would a rabid dog. Vortec heads will make some nice numbers for you, although you have to be carefull, there are a lot of cracked ones out there. At this point in time, if they aren't already cracked, they probably will go the distance for you (sort of a "natural selection" process I figure). Rochester carbs, while more complex and "involved" for setting up, are the undisputed kings of off-road carbs and once set up properly will approach perfection. Stay under 210 degrees of duration at .050" on your cam and you will have a torquey, efficient, fun to drive engine. I have never had a moment's regret for making the switch 10 years ago.

1) Carter/Edelbrock AFB 500cfm. Good mileage and best off road. BTW Holleys suck off road.
2) a 250hp V-8 doubles your stock HP. Do you really need more than that?
3) I had a '90 Chevy 1500 with TBI that consistently returned 20-25 mpg. Think about it.
4) If you want an auto, park the LC out back and buy an old Blazer, cheaper in the long run for the same effect.

Been there, done that, jus' sayin'.

a carb 383 setup would be very nice.

1) Carter/Edelbrock AFB 500cfm. Good mileage and best off road. BTW Holleys suck off road.
2) a 250hp V-8 doubles your stock HP. Do you really need more than that?
3) I had a '90 Chevy 1500 with TBI that consistently returned 20-25 mpg. Think about it.
4) If you want an auto, park the LC out back and buy an old Blazer, cheaper in the long run for the same effect.

Been there, done that, jus' sayin'.

250 would most likely be enough

a carb 383 setup would be very nice.

I agree, I have always wanted to build a 383. I have a good friend at church who owns a salvage yard and body shop, I am going to stop by there this week and see what he has. I agree that a TBI set up would be nice as well, some of it depends on what I find available.

I almost think that a 350 set up like it is getting a carb and then put a Howell TBI on it would be easier than messing with a engine that came with TBI but has been setting in a junk yard. Their is no telling how much time you could potentially waste chasing gremlins from a 20 year old engine that has been setting in a yard for 5 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom