V8 Versus Lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After looking at some info on thread "members lifts" i've got some idea of which combination i will go for.

What are your ideas, comments, expescially if you have added weight as i do with the V8.

Vehicle is 1997 GX.
Chev V8 up front
Mcc Bull bar up front, similar to ARB
Rear, plan to fit rear tyre carrier and long range tank.

This is what i'm thinking.

Front - OME 850
Rear - OME 863
Cater bushes and new shocks
Tyres will be 315/75/16 , or 34"

Offroad use will be medium to rough terrein, rocky mountainous trails where ground clearence is required. Not much extreme rockcrawling where Large Tyres and huge flex is required

With that much weight up front, you might consider J springs &/or trim packers. I think you may be a bit nose heavy.

I don't think you added any weight with the V8. If anything you lightened it somewhat.

I keep forgetting how heavy our inline 6 engines realy are.

He's right, your assesment of the parts sounds right too now.

i second the thought that the v8 is the same if not less than the stock moter

I have pulled my I-6 and havd it on the hook. I have no way to measure but I believe it is very close to the same weight as a SBC with alum heads. My 80 did not squat or rise up after swaping to a Chev.

The cruiser is drooping in the front a bit. I think it measdured 1" lower than stock. So i assumed this was due to the V8. If the added weight difference of the Bull bar and Motor is insignificant, would the sag be caused form Age?

So then the 850/863 combo woulod probably be the right option?

Maybe go with the 850, and if necessary add spacers?
I don't want to add J "s from the start if these are going to make the ride harder on dirt roads. IS there a marked diffrence between, say the 850 with (whatever weigh difference the motor and bar give). and if J's are fitted.

I'll double check, but i think the V8 is fitted with Cast iron heads, which could be slightly heavier

V8 Leftside.JPG
V8 topside.JPG
V8 Leftside.JPG
DSC00553.JPG
V8 topside.JPG

I run Slee 6" springs on my truck. They are much larger coil wire dia's than ome. Maybe they handle the extra wieght better. I also have a arb and 9500 winch up front.

Iron heads would add 75# to the engine versus aluminum heads.
Kirk

Kirk,

What is the distance from the centre of your front axle to the underside of fender flare ?

What is the 6" spring. Is this a 850 J range? :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom