V8 Radiator troubleshooting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had one with it ported into the water pump the water pump failed within two weeks so that is no longer an option for me.

that sounds like a coincidence. have you run the steam port hose off to see how much water comes out?

That new set up is sweet! Do you have the Derale part number? I don't know if I have that much clearance, i'd like to look at the specs though

If room is tight you can source a lower profile fan clutch. Some GM fan clutches have longer shafts than others.

Example:

s-l300.jpg

66l-DURAMAX-LB7-LLY-LBZ-LMM-2001-2007-15130067-Engine-Cooling-Fan-Clutch-302966683722.JPG

that sounds like a coincidence. have you run the steam port hose off to see how much water comes out?
No i haven't. Have you on your swap? Have you tried just doing away with it completely. I don't daily drive a swapped landcruiser you can be the test.

No i haven't. Have you on your swap? Have you tried just doing away with it completely. I don't daily drive a swapped landcruiser you can be the test.

I haven't on my LC but i did for fun on my swapped BMW. That port has a pretty steady stream of coolant. It's definitely not all steam.
Actually, now that I think about it my BMW has the steam port going into the water pump, that thing overheats like crazy but it has a Honda civic radiator the size of a 3-ring binder which is probably the main issue there :lol:

I dont think I would do away with it completely but I think the fancy billet "4 corner equal steam" kits that grab from all corners are a waste of money

I haven't on my LC but i did for fun on my swapped BMW. That port has a pretty steady stream of coolant. It's definitely not all steam.
Actually, now that I think about it my BMW has the steam port going into the water pump, that thing overheats like crazy but it has a Honda civic radiator the size of a 3-ring binder which is probably the main issue there :lol:

I dont think I would do away with it completely but I think the fancy billet "4 corner equal steam" kits that grab from all corners are a waste of money
You should post more pics and stuff of that mutation of a car on ig I wanna see more pics lol at least you have a radiator.... the one that had the port in the water pump didn't over heat but had a aluminum radiator and a nice electric fan

You should post more pics and stuff of that mutation of a car on ig I wanna see more pics lol at least you have a radiator.... the one that had the port in the water pump didn't over heat but had a aluminum radiator and a nice electric fan

I don't want to scare away any more customers then I already do :lol:

I was looking back through this thread and saw I never explained why I don't believe in the heater bypass any more. Once the thermostat is open all the water goes through it. So the heater bypass everyone is installing is only actually doing anything when the thermostat is closed, which should be for like 5 minutes until the engine is warmed up

I don't want to scare away any more customers then I already do :lol:

I was looking back through this thread and saw I never explained why I don't believe in the heater bypass any more. Once the thermostat is open all the water goes through it. So the heater bypass everyone is installing is only actually doing anything when the thermostat is closed, which should be for like 5 minutes until the engine is warmed up
I've done a swap with out a bypass no over heating. I really think by adding all this does help I wouldn't just say thats the reason a swap is over heating it won't hurt to have them in place tho.

X2 on the shroud. I had a similar issure w/ my TBISB and went to a bigger oil pan (6qt.) and it really helped, but I dont know LSs, so it might not be an option for you.

I had a similar issure w/ my TBISB and went to a bigger oil pan (6qt.) and it really helped, but I dont know LSs
I should mention that I too went to a stock oil pan (6 quarts)... Dont know if it makes a difference, but worth mentioning....

I use champion radiators on my swaps with 2500hd mechanical fan with custom fan shroud. Do you have the heater bypass fitting in place that will cause some temperature increase. I don't have a pic of the one I use but @cruisermatt may have a pic of the one he made others have used a plastic one.

is the 2500hd fan from Chevy? do I grab the clutch fan as well?

is the 2500hd fan from Chevy? do I grab the clutch fan as well?

Yes. I believe it is the same fan and clutch on all Gen 3 stuff actually if you check the part numbers on Rock Auto

Just curious, have you ever run one of these with the steam port left open just to see what happens?
yes have come across a couple "tuned swaps" that do not have it hooked up a all... didnt seem to effect them any, it can be tuned out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom