v8 questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need some advice about the v8 in my cruiser. First a little background: 1983 FJ60 bought off e-bay v-8 conversion already done. I take it to a mechanic as soon as I get it and he just starts to laugh. About 8000 and a NV4500, remount of the engine(was too low) other things it is ready to be registered. During that proccess we found conflicting marks as to if it was a 350 or 307. Also, after all the work was done discovered a crack in the engine where the exhaust manifold mates up. This causes quite a bit if smoke on start up. The engine leaks like a sieve and leaks/burns about a quart of oil every 400 miles. I just did an OME Susp. and put on new 33x10.5 BFGs and feeling the difference from the 31s that were on previously. So the question is new Crate engine, rebuilt from a junkyard, or rebuild this one? It is my daily driver and my plan is to set it up for cross country trips vs. a rock crawler. My thoughts are to try and bring hp to high twos maybe three hundred and see if that gives it a little more go before I look to 4.11s

Is it worth trying to have the engine (re)built-up? or should I start with something more fresh?

Thanks!

Brad

well I guess thats the question. Will it be cheaper to start over or rebuild what I've got.

Brad

If you're looking for cross country driving I'd suggest diesel. Your fuel cost will be 1/2 :eek: of ANY gas powered engine you can find and it'll last forever! My BJ60 will average 25mpg or better.
I challenge anyone with a gas powered 'Cruiser to come close to that.

[quote author=hendo link=board=1;threadid=5705;start=msg45293#msg45293 date=1064616600]
do it once and do it right get a LT1 fuel injected good gas milage and 410 hp
[/quote]One of my friends has the LT-1 in his rig and the only place where he can go with the group is on the dunes. There he can spin his tires and hot-rod around. When we do any rock crawling we end up either winching him through or towing out a broken rig. What a pain. He spent a lot of money to not be able to do what a stock Chev truck motor can do for a fraction of the cost. Oh yeah, it goes like mad in the mud though so if thats what you're into, go for it. We just never get rain here in the desert. I'd like an LT-1 for my 32 Roadster but the wife says no. Too many mouths to feed. :doh:

Go with the junkyard rebuild, or check the local machine shops. They usually have all shape and size SBC lying around. Then you can salvage some parts off your motor (oil pan, timing cover, accessory brackets...).

If your looking for a reliability try to keep it close to stock, and maybe look into some fuel injection. ;)

Take this from experience, do yourself a huge favor and buy a NEW crate 350 motor from the dealer. You will be $$ ahead. Intial cost is higher but you will be getting a brand spankin new motor. I don't have faith in rebuild, unless I do it myself. Time always seems to be a huge factor in doing it yourself.
Plus if you are going cross country, would you trust a junkyard rebuild compared to a new engine?
I would steer away from Pep boys, kragens, and junkyard rebuild crap!

[quote author=hammerhead link=board=1;threadid=5705;start=msg45457#msg45457 date=1064681625]He spent a lot of money to not be able to do what a stock Chev truck motor can do for a fraction of the cost. [/quote] or stock Toyota motor that was already in it. :p :D

Hey ranger-

A junkyard rebuild means buy a junkyard block, have it prepped, checked, bored and honed, and built (if you can't) by a reputible machine shop. Which is pretty much the same as buying a crate, cause that's exactly what they do (Or less depending on the crate builder).

Since he already has a conversion done he would be able to use the components over that he'd be paying for on a crate.

Unless you got money to burn, then try this:

http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=prod_detail&catid=120&pid=153750

[quote author=Dinkleberry link=board=1;threadid=5705;start=msg45684#msg45684 date=1064792185]
Hey ranger-

A junkyard rebuild means buy a junkyard block, have it prepped, checked, bored and honed, and built (if you can't) by a reputible machine shop. Which is pretty much the same as buying a crate, cause that's exactly what they do (Or less depending on the crate builder).

Since he already has a conversion done he would be able to use the components over that he'd be paying for on a crate.

[/quote]

I disagree wholehearteldly. I spent at least $3,000 having my junkyard 350 rebuilt. I did a lot of extras to get it factory right. I could have spent the same on a GM crate with a warrenty. Instead I have a really nice, useless block that puked with less than 100 hours on it. Good machinists cost a lot of money. Unfortunately so do bad ones. It is a sad commentary on the American throw-away society, but like alternators and starters, it costs more to pay someone to rebuild it than it does for a new one.
You can get a brand new 350 from General Motors for the cost of doing a quality rebuild if you need a lot of machine work. If you want to just refresh a motor you know to be good, then a CSB is great because it's very cheap. For a cross country trip or a dd, buy a crate. For a trail beater, buy a known good motor, refresh it and beat it until it dies. Have a spare sitting under a bench and toss it in in an afternoon.

Thanks for all the comments.

Thought about Diesel. Would love to have it but everyone I have talked to about says it would take 20 yrs of daily driving to get the payback.

I live in Utah, not really into the rock crawling thing, and like hammerhead said, mud is pretty rare. So what I'm looking for is something that will do well as a daily driver (until I can afford a more economical car as a daily driver) and do well cruising desert trails of Utah. What has been suggested was a new crate with the "Motor Home" cam for good torque. I was just wondering if it would be possible and more economically feasible to re-build mine. But more than anything I need it to be reliable.

Thanks for all the input!

Brad

I guess I've just been lucky with machine shops.

$3000.00 for a jk rebuild!! :eek:

I better get blowed daily for that price. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom