V8 FJ40 with 180 headers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, I'll bite, what is a 180 header?

Excellent info, thanks! That explains why they sound like they do. Just not sure if the frame rails or accessories on a FJ40 will allow them to fit. There are dozens of off the shelf versions on Jegs. Was hoping somebody had already tried it.

That sure looks like it would be hard to fit in a cruiser and not lose functionality like ground clearance or cab space, but you never know.

”The problem is packaging this bundle of snakes. Four tubes must cross either under the oil pan or around the front or rear of the engine.”

Short answer: in the 20 years I've been playing with Cruisers, including doing a V8 swap on my first FJ40, I've not seen anyone do 180 degree headers. IMHO the benefit is just not there or what little benefit you might get would not be noticed. You are more likely to notice the increase of available torque off road with the use of a doubler or crawlbox than you will see with 180 degree headers.

I'd save the 180 degree headers for a max effort race car vs a 40 year old box on wheels.

Nick

IMO over the frame headers that dump out under the running boards. A little work on the board supports and you can eliminate any pipe from hanging low. You have to cut your fenders if that an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom