V8 conversion help?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a 78 fj40 w/ a chevy 350 from a dealership, they knew nothing about the conversion and the work that was done to the cruiser but it ran strong and was well priced. I have a couple questions mainly about the clutch if any one can help. As is the cruiser is running the stock 4spd with what I think is an advanced adapter bellhousing.
My first question is: when i'm in neutral and take my foot of the clutch it seems like the clutch isn't releasing all the way there's a lot of noise going on. After looking around i noticed that the clutch fork or release arm is butted all the way up against the slave cylinder. It is like there isnt enough play for the clutch to release all the way. Is there some kind of bracket that will move the slave cylinder back a bit? Or is this not normal at all?
Since I know nothing about this conversion I'm trying to figure out how the clutch/flywheel assembly works. Do most kits use the toyota clutch and pressure plate and a chevy flywheel? Can anyone give me any info on the proper set-up for the clutch and how it works? Sorry if this makes no sense this is all new to me. Thanks for any help...
Mike

A picture of the setup would help. Then we could tell what the installer had done.

Oh, Welcome to mud!

PortAngelesFJ40 said:
I recently purchased a 78 fj40 w/ a chevy 350 from a dealership, they knew nothing about the conversion and the work that was done to the cruiser but it ran strong and was well priced. I have a couple questions mainly about the clutch if any one can help. As is the cruiser is running the stock 4spd with what I think is an advanced adapter bellhousing.
My first question is: when i'm in neutral and take my foot of the clutch it seems like the clutch isn't releasing all the way there's a lot of noise going on. After looking around i noticed that the clutch fork or release arm is butted all the way up against the slave cylinder. It is like there isnt enough play for the clutch to release all the way. Is there some kind of bracket that will move the slave cylinder back a bit? Or is this not normal at all?
Since I know nothing about this conversion I'm trying to figure out how the clutch/flywheel assembly works. Do most kits use the toyota clutch and pressure plate and a chevy flywheel? Can anyone give me any info on the proper set-up for the clutch and how it works? Sorry if this makes no sense this is all new to me. Thanks for any help...
Mike

Up against the slave cylinder is ok provided there is a spring doing the return. If the tension is from the pressure plate fingers then it's too tight and will (or has according to the noise) wear out the throwout bearing. My actuating rod on my slave is adjustable but I can't say if it's true for all year 40's.

As for your conversion there were several ways to set up the clutch. Mine (back when I ran a 4 speed) was all GM everything except for the slave.

Rice

Did you have to change the output spline from the stock 4spd to fit a chevy clutch.

mike

AA sells a bracket for the LC Slave to Chevy bellhousing. Take a look at that one and see if it matches what the PO put on? You might just need to adjust the slave push rod? My problem was really similar with the NV I had. I replaced the flexline from the master to the slave because the orginal had swelled shut. The fluid had to much resistance to actuate the slave properly.

As Rice said, to check if it is fully adjusted take the cover off and look up at the throw out bearing. If it's against the pressure plate fingers with the pedal released then it will constantly be turning and will wear out or cause lots of noise. It should have a gap between the brng and the fingers and able to be turned by hand freely.

have you checked www.advanceadapters.com they have a lot of info on threre site and you can get a catalog for free and it gives all the part # to use with the setup and do's and dont's, check it out i have there catalog its been very helpfull. good luck!

ok mine has a downey bellhousing and it had to have a plate that moved the slave back about 2 inches. the bracket on the bellhousing is way too close for some reason so you have to take some flat stack and drill 3 holes to move the slave towards teh engine more.
my .02

oh and it should say on top of the bellhousing what brand it is. at least thats where it ssays downey on mine so if you dont see downey you have AA

Thanks for the info. It sounds like if i make a braket to move the cylinder back a bit it sould work.

I'm still confused about the clutch/flywheel setup and how if it's chevy it mates to the stock 4spd. Are the parts interchangeable? So if I replace the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel how do I know what I need?

Thanks again in advance.

mike

yea downey has got the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom