V8 350 loading up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I here people all the time talking about 350's loading up. what does this mean. also i've read when a 40 is converted to a 350 it is good to move the tranny up so the engine wont be so close to the firewall. if this is not done, should one turn away from a 40 or can it still stay cool being that close to the firewall. thanks

A 350 that "loads up" has the wrong or improperly setup carburetor. If tilted far enough or bounced hard enough or both, many carbs will dump excessive amounts of fuel in manifold effectively drowning the engine causing a stumble or even a flameout. Some carbs do just the opposite. If tilted or bounced allowes air to reach fuel metering jets causing stumble or flameout. The ultimate cure is fuel injection but a properly setup carb can do an incredible job. There is a thread discussing the topic of carb performance offroad. I'll see if I can find it.

There's a tech article by Woody( I think) about fixing V8 carbs for off-road.

I'm running a holley 750 on my cruiser and it'll "bog" out with too much throttle. I adjusted it the best I could for idle..(unfortunately I hit a few red lights).

Now, not sure why, but my idle adjustment isn't as good. I've been told to go with a 650 cfm. Any thoughts for a 350?? 650 or 750..(I don't wheel much)

all i can say is i never had good luck with holley carbs, edlebrock or q jet work well, but that's at vertical

I'd drop down to the 650cfm w/ vac secondaries.

Unless you plan to get radical with the small block or go big block, that 750 is to much for a stock 350.

i have an edlebrock 600cfm w/spring loaded needles,it does very well exept for extreme uphills it starts to flood if i let off the gas. it runs great rock crawling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom