V-Belts, Alternators and Air Conditioning and Idler pulley's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thanks to all those that responded to the Idler post I made. As a lot of you know the V-Belts are a PITA to change especially if you are in a hurry. Looking at cutting the shroud seems a bit drastic, taking the fan off seems to be the easiest if you don't want to do the sheet metal work.

As for the things that I found from the previous shops that worked on my truck I know that the local mechanics either lack knowledge or a work ethic (or both).

Here is the easiest way I found to get the Idler pulley's, V-Belts, air conditioner, alternator or any of the other parts. Taking on the task of changing the water pump is the foundation, just take off what you need. Absolutely remove the smog and power steering pumps for the sides you want to work with, especially the alternator. Yes you can get the alternator out but it really sucks with the smog pump in the way. For the air conditioner I don't see a way to do it with the power steering pump installed. And if you need to change the idler pulley for the A/C (like I had to) then the PS pump needs to come off so you can get the JAM NUT tightened. Also, I saw a post that said the Idler pulley nut did not need to be touched when changing the belts. Not true, it has to be loosened so the Idler can be adjusted, and once the tension is set then the nut is the locking nut to hold the pulley in the same position-not the adjusting bolt. Same thing for the alternator bolt used with the adjuster, it has to be loosened then the belt adjusted and then tightened again. Also, a commune twas made to tighten the lower alternator bolt at tight as possible and then drag the alternator back and then adjust the belt. That bolt was not hard to tighten, it needs to be tight when adjusting, then tightened in place once the belt is correct. Yes you need to get under the truck, and yes with the smog pump out of the way it is easier but not required.

I took pictures that you can actually see these in living color that I can post once I figure out what I need to do.

Loosening the adjusters is the start, and taking the time to make the job easier by removing what is needed the belts go on pretty easy. Plan on 2-3 hours at a minimum.

This is not the only way, best way, or the gospel, only the way I found to actually get the issues repaired, and not to scare off anyone who wants to change the belts.

Oh, use Toyota belts. Another lesson learned.

Cheers

Clay

How to Change:

Need help with belt replacements.

Where to get:

Ebay Search -
Toyota Genuine OEM Land Cruiser Lexus LX450 93-97 Fan belts 90916-02353-83

$12.49 and 3.99 S&H

FWIW I am running the Gates with Zeros Issues.
Anyone that says they are junk, likely has not used them.
They are cheap on Rock Auto.

You don't need to do excessive work for the shroud. I cut mine, filed the edges, cleaned and painted and added w/o any special plates. Works fine.

Fj62 right?

My FJ62 Fan Shroud is cut in half as well. Make working with the belts and other things up front very easy. No mounting mods, cut in half, and re-bolt / mount into place.

BTW.......IH8 :censor: 3FE belts....

3FE belts don't take me a long time. But I don't run A/c :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom