V-8 Pig Owners Chime In Please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
#1 - Has any of you guys with a V-8 in your 55 used or tried ti use the Firestein/Bier SBC mounts? I realize that there is a small width difference. Has anybody found a way to over come this? These mounts CAN still be had.

#2 - What kind of mounts for your SBC did you use and what transmission and adaptors?

I'm on the fence as to whether to use a 2F or a 350 and I need some opinions.

:shotts:

Don't know what Firestein/Bier SBC mounts are. I'm pretty sure the 350 I dropped into my 55 is sitting on mounts from Downey Offroad. They use the stock Landcruiser cushions. I'm running a 700R4 and chevy case/mount. I have yet to drive this 55, but everything sits in there just fine.

FJ55

I'm also considering a 700r4. Do you have any pics of the build? Any of the 350 with the 700r4? If so shoot me some to mtrdud322@aol.com. I'd also like to know when you take it for a spin and how the 700r4 does on the highway with the pig.

Thanks

Buckethead,

I've looked at the picutres of your 55. I was impressed with your paint job. Have you done a lot of painting? I'm sort of in the same boat body wise as what you started with and I'm in the process of sanding, body work, ect. but I want to get the drivetrain in before I paint.

Thanks

I narrowed a stock engine cradle from a K20, welded it in then took out the cross member between the two mounts. Then to hold the NP205 and SM465 I used the K20s t-case crossmember and am in the process of making some brackets to bolt it up.

I'm sure there is an easier way, but I'm cheap and enjoy doing it myself.

Check my Sig for my build thread.

I am running a 330 hp crate motor with an nv4500 tranny and split style transfer case. My bell housing, motor mounts and transfer case twin sticks came from Advanced Adapters.

Buckethead,

I've looked at the picutres of your 55. I was impressed with your paint job. Have you done a lot of painting? I'm sort of in the same boat body wise as what you started with and I'm in the process of sanding, body work, ect. but I want to get the drivetrain in before I paint.

Thanks

Roy Farr Painted mine in garage at home. It was super cold outside so he had a pain of a time, but did a good job.

I would definitely get the drivetrain finished before you start the body work. My stock stuff is great, but if I keep mine, I am tempted to lift it and put the v8 and auto in it.

i had looked at the bier mounts, but htey won't fit since the 55 is wider. it's a bit of a pita getting a v8 into a pig. not at all easy like the 40s.

V-8 in a Pig

Please elaborate on the "pains". That is what I'm interested in hearing. I spent several hours in the shop today taking the front fenders and clip off. I need to start a build thread but it will go Slooooooow!! I am still awaiting a reply from Matt Bier on the use of those mounts in a 55. He says he still produces and sells them. I did measure the 55 against my 40 and there is a small width difference as everyone has stated. Again please share you experiences (especially problems or pitfalls) with putting a V-8 in a 55.

Thanks

Actually, I think there is plenty of room for a V8. I do have FJ60 power steering, which helped a bit and I also use stock exhaust manifolds.

My radiator is a much larger one and takes up more engine compartment space than the original style.

Here's what I started with (hood removed) and the progress I made today. Front fenders and clip removed. I have a good 350 from a 1987 IROC with a carburetor instead of the TPI. I am currently looking for a 700r4. My progress will be slow with the motor since I'm poor from Christmas and I need to buy mounts, adapter, ect.. I do plan on some body work to pass the time.

Check out the pics...

Last edited:
Howdy! Could you just weld in scab plates between the frame and the motor mounts to fill in the gap? I almost had to do that for my AA transfer case mount, as the Piggy frame just keeps getting wider as it goes towards the rear. I have a 350 into a Ranger, then my original H42 and transfer. I just barely made it without having to shim it up. John

Mounts

I originally had thought of that too but the problem is that the Firestein/Bier mounts fit over the frame. If you thicken the frame, the mounts would also have to be altered to match which I suppose could be done.

having the power steering ahead of time will definitely help out. my left motor mount is truly wedged under the brace for the steering box. i will be going power steering, but that's in the future, not now. also, i need to do some minor firewall mods on the right side for clearance for the valve cover. i'm mounted about as far forward as i can safely go and my sHifter is under the heater box.

front axle is way toooo close also, don't like the driveshaft on an soa

definitely a much tighter squeeze than in a 40

So is the V-8 Worth the Trouble?

So before I go past the point of no return, is the V-8 worth the trouble? Guys with a V-8, would you do it again or stay stock?

So before I go past the point of no return, is the V-8 worth the trouble? Guys with a V-8, would you do it again or stay stock?

depends on what you're planning on using it for? i often am going over mountain passes and i'll be soa with 35+" tires, so yes, it's worth it to me. less than 35" tires, i probably wouldn't do it. i won't be doing it on my other pig.

Howdy! Definitely!! The only other thing I really want is a Toy Box. I run with a lot of fuel injected automatics and rigs with really low gears, so I take the bypass once in a while. It's better than frying my clutch. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom