V-8 Conversion Facilities in NM/CO/UT/AZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am toying with the idea of putting a fuel injected V-8 in my 87 cruiser. I don't have the time or expertise to screw with it and want a superb job. Does anyone have an idea of anyone that does this as a regular function of their shop in NM/CO/AZ/UT?

Any idea on what it would cost to buy the engine and have it done? Thanks.

I would say between 7-11 k to have a shop do it depending on the motor you go with. It seems like Proffitts cruisers in CO are a no hassle very professional solution. Probably not the least expensive but i've seen some of their stuff and it is done very well. If you don't care about fuel mileage get a chevy lq9 6.0 and 4l80e and drive with a huge smile. Mileage will still be slightly better than a 2f or 3fe but will rip. If you do care about mileage get an ls1. Some people have reported up to 22mpg at 55 with one. I would say 19-20 should be pretty easy at normal cruising speeds. If your having the shop do the install I would spend the little extra money it costs to get an ls1 over a 5.3 as it will be small in comparison to the overall job.

Pay twice as much just to buy an ls1 with more miles. 5.3l is the way to go. Cheap, low mile, good hp...

On paying someone else to do it... you better have some deeeep pockets. I was quoted at just under $30k (yes dollers, not pesos) from a reputable shop.

My solution: do it myself, do it the way I want, buy lots of cool/useful tools, and save ~$20K in the process.

Thats the only logical way to do it in my world (but I dont make millions) my salary is in the thousands.

cheers

LS1 Engine Complete losing house needs to go no affiliation but you can pick up ls1's all day under 1500 if you look. This one already has the wiring. I actually might go buy it for my rail next week.

If your doing it yourself I agree the 5.3 is good. If your paying somebody an extra 500-1000 for a badass motor with tons of aftermarket options is a drop in the bucket.

Pay twice as much just to buy an ls1 with more miles. 5.3l is the way to go. Cheap, low mile, good hp...

On paying someone else to do it... you better have some deeeep pockets. I was quoted at just under $30k (yes dollers, not pesos) from a reputable shop.

My solution: do it myself, do it the way I want, buy lots of cool/useful tools, and save ~$20K in the process.

Thats the only logical way to do it in my world (but I dont make millions) my salary is in the thousands.

cheers

You won't pay twice as much but you will get larger displacement, aluminum block and a smaller package (oil pan, acc drive, intake manifold).

I do agree on doing it yourself.

I dont know anybody on that area, but I have heard of Proffits and what a great job they do....

I would suggest if you going to pay someone to do the job for yah.. go for a Turbo Diesel Engine swap.
I got a v8 meself and if I was to do it all over again. Diesel I would choose.. specifically that Isuzu engine some others on this site are swapping in.. the mileage is unreal and pretty sweet....

Good Luck and let us know what you decide on.....

Like this? 98 5.7 Vortec and 4l60e working it's way slowly into my 85. Holler if you want to check it out. -Chad
CIMG0080.jpg
CIMG0090-1.jpg

RTCustoms seems to be one of the cheapest around to do the swap. And their work looks very good.

I was quoted at $10k from them if I supply engine and trans. As mentioned you can find your own ls1 + 4L60e for $1500-2500 no probs. I think they are out of Texas....

info@RTCustoms.net

Another shop in Oregon quoted me at $20k if I supply engine!!

I will be doing it myself....when I get a FJ62 that is!

WOW

Those prices are CRAZY! I would expect a ground up restore for some of them? In any case, I guess I will be going slow forever. Maybe I will stick to "souping" up my 2F and adding FI?

505 Crusher, where are you located? Shoot me a PM.

RTCustoms seems to be one of the cheapest around to do the swap. And their work looks very good.

I was quoted at $10k from them if I supply engine and trans. As mentioned you can find your own ls1 + 4L60e for $1500-2500 no probs. I think they are out of Texas....

info@RTCustoms.net

Another shop in Oregon quoted me at $20k if I supply engine!!

I will be doing it myself....when I get a FJ62 that is!

Another vote for RT Customs (iaintscared1969 here on mud). His work is fantastic, and Texas isn't too far for you...

Check out some of his builds to get an idea of the quality of his work:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/174821-another-cruiser-gets-vortec.html
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/147253-mrzero-divorces-2f-vortec-mistress.html
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/183953-white-ghost-gets-second-chance.html
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/204037-turning-snow-cruiser-into-snow-bruiser.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom