uzj100 Electrical issues. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, First time poster. Im currently working on a friends v8 100 Series ( I have a older cruiser myself) and it has some pretty concerning electrical issues.

It started by one day blowing the EFI no.1 Fuse while cranking. Then a new fault developed and it would not crank at all. I have narrowed down the EFI fuse short to be in the starter solenoid circuit. If i disconnect the single pin connector from the fuse box to the starter and then apply B+ at the starter side it does not blow the EFI Fuse. The engine will start and then stall straight away.

Other issues include

-Gear indicator on cluster not displaying anything
-Volt meter on cluster reading max (over 19V)
-P/N does not change state on scan tool
-scan tool unable to connect to the ECU and Transmission modules at all
-Engine will not crank via the Key (gets 12v signal to ECU in crank position, ecu not outputting 12V to start relay)

So theres a bit going on. Have checked all obvious things such as connectors etc. It may well be possible that the EFI fuse should has caused an ECU failure But i wanted to confirm before we go down the path of replacing it,.

Cheers
S

I don't have any specific suggestions, but depending on which year, there are two possible culprits:

1. For later 100s, 2004 and up IIRC, there is an issue with the fuse box that nobody has really been able to figure out, but replacing the under-hood fuse block seems to fix the gremlins.

2. For all 100s, the sunroof drains being clogged or the windshield not being properly installed leads to water in the driver's side kick panel and plays havoc with all of the electronics in there, including the ECU.

3. The only other useful(ish) info that I have is that when I had some very confusing electrical gremlins on my daughter's 99, it turned out that the fuse box cover was improperly installed and she went merrily splashing through some puddles the day before. Sitting over night with a fan blowing on the open fuse box solved that--relevant? Not really, but the point is that moisture in these rigs can cause some really weird symptoms.

This does sound like water on ECU or shorted fuse box. Was there a water crossing involved or flooding? Was this vehicle jumped incorrectly? Have aftermarket electronics been installed that could have been wired without proper fusing/relays/grounding? Example being a brake controller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom