Uwharrie Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any of you who have done Uwharrie NC in a 100 , has anyone done that in an LX with AHC with only a front bumper? I don't have sliders, but I will probably have the lunchbox locker in the rear before I go.

What level trails should I stay away from to avoid body damage? I don't want to just do some mild bumpy rutted trails, but I know I can't expect to be climbing ledges either without tearing s*** up.

Also, what's camping like out there? can you do dispersed primitive camping or is it only campgrounds?

How's the crowd ? seems like it can get kind of wild out there watching some of the vids. I'm from rural NC so I'm no stranger to rednecks Haha, but I'd prefer to keep my kids away from drunk idiots.

Reach out to the NC/SC guys via their club forums - Olde North State, Low Country Land Cruisers and Upstate Land Cruisers (or something like that)

I went last summer. I'd recommend sliders. If I recall correctly, I ran pretty much everything but a section of Dickie Bell (?). It wasn't very crowded but there were definitely others there. We stayed at a camp ground a few minutes away.

I might be back again in a few weeks for Logan's run. When are you planning to go?

I went last summer. I'd recommend sliders. If I recall correctly, I ran pretty much everything but a section of Dickie Bell (?). It wasn't very crowded but there were definitely others there. We stayed at a camp ground a few minutes away.

I might be back again in a few weeks for Logan's run. When are you planning to go?

I hadn't really decided yet. I may wait until I get my Lokka in the rear because I think it would be a good test for it. It would probably be mid October or something

Well on your way up from FL, you'll go through some really nice spots in GA as well. If you ever want to start with a slightly shorter trip to get the tires dirty, I can point you to a few good spots around here.

Well on your way up from FL, you'll go through some really nice spots in GA as well. If you ever want to start with a slightly shorter trip to get the tires dirty, I can point you to a few good spots around here.

I'll do that for sure. I took the family to do the GA traverse last summer. I feel like we left it before the trail really got fun though. We did Dicks Creek road which was cool. I'd like to go back to do the eastern part. I'll be in Hiawassee for Thanksgiving so let me know if there's anything worth doing within 30-45 min of there.

I recommend sliders first over Lokka. If you need a locker to get through something then you will probably also need sliders.

I get what you're saying, but if you need sliders really probably need skid plates too, and if you got skids you need a rear bumper, hahaha...slippery slope. I have been looking at some DIY slider kits for the LX, I'm trying to decide how I want to build it out. Should I get the Coastal offroad rear with swing out first, or do the AHC removal first? Should I do sliders before rear bumper?

I've ordered a Lokka so that will go in first, then I was thinking sliders, then maybe AHC removal, then coastal offroad rear bumper. This is all going to be over the next couple of years.

I'll do that for sure. I took the family to do the GA traverse last summer. I feel like we left it before the trail really got fun though. We did Dicks Creek road which was cool. I'd like to go back to do the eastern part. I'll be in Hiawassee for Thanksgiving so let me know if there's anything worth doing within 30-45 min of there.

I get what you're saying, but if you need sliders really probably need skid plates too, and if you got skids you need a rear bumper, hahaha...slippery slope. I have been looking at some DIY slider kits for the LX, I'm trying to decide how I want to build it out. Should I get the Coastal offroad rear with swing out first, or do the AHC removal first? Should I do sliders before rear bumper?

I've ordered a Lokka so that will go in first, then I was thinking sliders, then maybe AHC removal, then coastal offroad rear bumper. This is all going to be over the next couple of years.

There's a lot to see around Hiawassee for sure. It's a beautiful area. FWIW, the Traverse is pretty mild in terms of "off roading". I think the most exciting part of it is a trail call Charlie's Creek, which we ran with a bunch of beginners in pretty stock trucks.

IMO, sliders should be your first mod before any wheeling. Before bumpers, before skids, before lockers, even before tires if you've already got a decent set on the truck. I've run my truck in every form from bone stock to where it is now, and the sliders paid for themselves the very first trip. Seriously, get sliders before worrying about bumpers, skids, etc. You're meant to drive over the big rocks vs straddling them, so the sliders will come into play well before any fully belly skids.

There's a lot to see around Hiawassee for sure. It's a beautiful area. FWIW, the Traverse is pretty mild in terms of "off roading". I think the most exciting part of it is a trail call Charlie's Creek, which we ran with a bunch of beginners in pretty stock trucks.

IMO, sliders should be your first mod before any wheeling. Before bumpers, before skids, before lockers, even before tires if you've already got a decent set on the truck. I've run my truck in every form from bone stock to where it is now, and the sliders paid for themselves the very first trip. Seriously, get sliders before worrying about bumpers, skids, etc. You're meant to drive over the big rocks vs straddling them, so the sliders will come into play well before any fully belly skids.

Charlies Creek that's what we were on, I remembered the name wrong.

That makes sense about the sliders, maybe I will get a set of the weld yourself's that will fit in the next few months then. I'm worried about adding all the weight on my AHC system. I definitely need to put some new springs in the rear since those pressures were slightly out.

you can also pre-empt the front with LC torsion bars. there are alot of them for sale when folks go to aftermarket tbs

Yep I agree with @MongooseGA I don't have skids (just factory) but I use my sliders all the time. Especially because high in your list was avoiding body damage. If you go around rocks without sliders you're going to have a bad day.

I can vouch that J1000 takes the harder lines for sure!

I have a few marks on my skid plates and a ton of marks on my sliders. Sliders will allow you to follow best practice. That is to put the largest rocks under your tires and not under the skids. The rear locker will come in handy too. Just do both!

Yep I agree with @MongooseGA I don't have skids (just factory) but I use my sliders all the time. Especially because high in your list was avoiding body damage. If you go around rocks without sliders you're going to have a bad day.

Not like you need it, but another vote in the sliders column. My skids look pretty good...my sliders stay hammered.

I did every trail except Dutch John and Dickie Bell with a ‘99 LX. Had AHC but the switch was bad so it wouldn’t go outside of N. Also, running birds removed but no sliders. Took no damage but I would have felt more comfortable with sliders. Skids would be nice, but don’t wait until you have a fully armored rig, or you’ll never go anywhere because there’s always something else to buy. Just pick your lines.

The cool thing is that you can camp anywhere trail side if I remember correctly. Also a campground at Badin Lake.

Anyone know of a good weld yourself style slider that would fit the 100 series? I'm balling on a budget over here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom