Wanted UT Cruiser Undercarriage (Another Rust Post, I'm Sorry) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 100 Series
Mileage
This is a 2006 LC with 200k miles up for sale near me for 20k at a Toyota dealership. PO traded it in for an 09. It was clearly his offroading Rig. Its got 35's on it, nice wheels, a good front bumper, and the exterior is pretty clean minus some pin striping. I know there's going to be different levels of "acceptable" rust for some depending on region, but I wanted to get some second opinions. This has always been a Utah truck since it was bought new. The latest owner pretty clearly cared about it from some of the maintenance logs, but the rust is a bit concerning. I neglected to grab really close ups of the axles, but they weren't as bad as the problem areas I'm linking. Beyond the muffler everything seemed "solid", but what kinda time, effort, and money is it going to take to bring this back to a manageable position if I want to daily this for the next 10 years?

Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.

20230406_184528.jpg

20230406_184526.jpg

20230406_185110.jpg

20230406_185108.jpg

20230406_184525.jpg

You can do better. The volks on it are worth some cash though. If it’s the same one on autotrader I’m seeing. Looks kinda beat up to me. I’d pass and buy from someone on here when the right one comes along. Im against buying from the crooks at a dealership.

Last edited:
This is a 2006 LC with 200k miles up for sale near me for 20k at a Toyota dealership. PO traded it in for an 09. It was clearly his offroading Rig. Its got 35's on it, nice wheels, a good front bumper, and the exterior is pretty clean minus some pin striping. I know there's going to be different levels of "acceptable" rust for some depending on region, but I wanted to get some second opinions. This has always been a Utah truck since it was bought new. The latest owner pretty clearly cared about it from some of the maintenance logs, but the rust is a bit concerning. I neglected to grab really close ups of the axles, but they weren't as bad as the problem areas I'm linking. Beyond the muffler everything seemed "solid", but what kinda time, effort, and money is it going to take to bring this back to a manageable position if I want to daily this for the next 10 years?

Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.

View attachment 3292823

View attachment 3292824

View attachment 3292825

View attachment 3292827

View attachment 3292828
Looks pretty rusty, personally I would need to really love the rest of it including price to tolerate the concession of longevity, broken bolts, and extra cost to repair/replace what I couldn’t stand visually.

The charm of a Land Cruiser is more than a sum of its parts. This one will require about 8 hrs of you , under it with some rust removal tools and some robust Rustoleum cans. It should be fine after that , and you will be bonded to it. I live in the Chicago area and run 2 Cruisers ( 342k and 170K), rust is just an irritant. If you want to ensure some extra structural integrity, I recommend some underbody armor from Slee. Sure you can wait for an unicorn to come along, but if this is the only game in town, you can make it work.

Oh, my goodness, this rust is worse than we have here in Alberta, Canada. I'm sure it would be similar if it was in the eastern Canada like Ontario or Quebec but I'm surprised it was in Utah all its life😯

Last edited:
Not very much rust at all, the main thing you took pics of is the muffler and very easy to replace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom