1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using the SST tool without removing the axle seal.

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by jackbrad, Aug 18, 2006.

1. jackbrad

jackbrad

I put my front axle seals in before I used the sst tool to set up the knuckles.

I think that the Factory service manual is saying that in order to use the SSt I am going to have to have them out.

[​IMG]

Here is the piece that is in reference... in green.
    [​IMG]

Can I leave this piece out and use the seal as the peice...

Or I am being lazy and just need to remove the piece and do it right?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  2. awp_cruiser

awp_cruiser

I think it is made to use the sleeve without the seal, or leave the seal and take off the sleeve??

I would think that the cost of new seals and the maintenance issue with them would warrant new ones. So just pop 'em out and replace them and be done with it.

3. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

If it was me and I needed to use the SST, I would use the sleeve as it is intended and either carefully remove the seals or get new ones.

4. mustardfj40

mustardfj40

I did it without the seals, the measurement is really small...It's a simple but tedious job and I wouldn't want to do it twice just to get it right.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">