Using fob with rig running? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know if it is possible to use the fob to lock and unlock the doors with a '95-97 FZJ80 running?
I want to be able to start the rig. Hop out, lock it with the fob, let it warm up, come back, and unlock with the fob.
There are a bunch of wires going into the control box under the driver's seat. Surely one tells the control box there is a key in the ignition. Maybe if someone knows that wire I can unplug it and see if that works.
I can use a second key to un/lock the door, but my door lock tumbler is really finicky. It takes a whole lot of luck and a warm day to open smoothly. And, of course, I don't need to let the rig warm up on warm days.

I can do it with my aftermarket remote start/entry system. I'm guessing you have the factory system, rs3000 I think?

I have the factory system and yes when running it still works just the same to lock/unlock.

Did you mod it in any way? Has it worked that way since new?
My factory remotes will not let me lock when the car is running.

I have the factory RS3000 system on my '97 and will not let me lock the doors (with the remote) when the engine is running.

When you try to lock it are the doors opened or closed? If the doors are open you should not be able to lock it.

Mine doesn't lock with doors closed. I just start it with a spare i leave in the gum holder. and then lock the doors with my key.

Open or closed. They lock for one second, then unlock right away.

^^^^^^^^^^
Same with mine.

But I can manually lock my keys in the vehicle (running) , then unlock it with a FOB or key.

I think you will find that the behavior of using the keyfob and lock button to be one in the same. This is not a function of the alarm unit but that of the door lock ECU.

But, does anyone know how to override the door locks being tied to the key in the ignition?
Does anyone have a map of the wires going into the control box? Maybe one of those is labeled "ingnition" and I could try unplugging that one.

Did you mod it in any way? Has it worked that way since new?
My factory remotes will not let me lock when the car is running.

I have not. I have not noticed anything 'odd' about it or its wiring when taking things apart, but it could be different than normal courtesy of a previous owner or random glitch. I have a '96, not sure if anything would be different over the years with the alarms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom