Using factory CV boot kit on aftermarket axles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '99 LX 470 has had more than a few CV axles put on it. I see rotted boots on axles installed by the PO in 2016. There isn't a lot of play in the joint, nor is there clicking, so the aftermarket axle guts appear to be ok.

I just bought an OEM Toyota CV boot kit. Any chance it will fit the aftermarket axle, or is it a 'try it and see' deal?

Thanks - Steve

Depends on brand. If Cardone HD, I think they’ll work, because the Cardones are as close to OEM in terms of form, fit, and function, including rzeppa joints. Anything else, I have no idea, but I’d wager they won’t work on any CVs with tripod joints. Give it hell and report back.

Depends on brand. If Cardone HD, I think they’ll work, because the Cardones are as close to OEM in terms of form, fit, and function, including rzeppa joints. Anything else, I have no idea, but I’d wager they won’t work on any CVs with tripod joints. Give it hell and report back.
I can confirm oem boot kits will not work on aftermarket tripod joints, the inner cv housing must be a complete round circle. Luckily the customer hung on to the original axle and brought it over for me to rebuild. The oem boot kit number I used was 04427-60121

1.jpg

2.jpg

I can confirm oem boot kits will not work on aftermarket tripod joints, the inner cv housing must be a complete round circle. Luckily the customer hung on to the original axle and brought it over for me to rebuild. The oem boot kit number I used was 04427-60121

As soon as it warms up and I have time, I will tear it down and see. I have seen this boot issue on Subarus - some joints have a round 'bell' and some have the scalloped 'bell' and boots have to fit correctly.

As soon as it warms up and I have time, I will tear it down and see. I have seen this boot issue on Subarus - some joints have a round 'bell' and some have the scalloped 'bell' and boots have to fit correctly.
The joint type inside the tulip is what dictates the tulip shape. Rzeppa joint = round tulip. Tripod joint = lobed tulip. Rzeppa joints are superior and the only thing that Toyota 100 series boots will fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom