USFS Chainsaw Class scheduled for March 10 -11, 2018 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StaleAle

MUD-aholic
SILVER Star
Threads
The USFS Chainsaw class will be scheduled in March 10-11, 2018.

Who’s the chainsaw class for?

Everyone is welcome! This course is for all volunteers interested in receiving their Forest Service chainsaw certification so you can buck/cut up trees as part of your volunteer trail maintenance activities.

When and where is it?

This class will begin on Saturday, March 10, 2018 at 0800 at the Lee Ranger District Office, Edinburg, Va. This is an 8 hr classroom session. Bring a pack lunch or plan to plan to dash out during your ~30 min. lunch break.

The class on Sunday, March 11, 2018 will be in the field and will begin a 0800. Plan to be outside most of the day! More information for this day will be provided at the Saturday class.

Great! I plan to be there…

Please RSVP to the Lee Ranger District office with your intent to attend this course by March 1, 2018. (540) 984-4101 or email me at slchapman@fs.fed.us Please include a telephone number so we can call you in case of inclement weather.

Hey I just need to be recertifiedor I have questions about the class

Contact Wade Bushong at 540-984-4101; wbushong@fs.fed.us to schedule another day or to get more information.

Wait! You’ll need Personal Protective Equipment! (Some of this you can borrow for your field day)

Boots (must be: Heavy-duty, cut-resistant or leather, waterproof or water repellent, leather, 8-inch-high, laced, with nonskid soles and adequate ankle support. Hard toes are optional (Health and Safety Code Handbook). )

Forest Service approved Hard Hat

Chainsaw Chaps – talk to Wade Bushong or Jay Collett before you buy them!

Long Sleeves

Wrap-around Eye Protection

Leather Gloves

Long Pants

Hearing protection

Also, to become certified you’ll need a current First Aid and CPR certification. While you don’t need CPR/First Aid to take the training, you will not receive your certification card until you’ve had the training.

Last edited:
My wife and I are in on taking the class. We recently picked up a local trail as volunteers for the PATC and this would help fulfill the USFS requirement for that - as well as just overall good information.

Thanks!!!

bk

I still need to take the practical, but it was really worth taking the class. Great instruction!

I am interested and I have a chainsaw.

Thanks

Interested as well.

Wade told me that they will decide the date for the class in January. We had it in late February when I took it two years ago. I will keep in touch with the Ranger station and let you know.

I'm interested depending on my clinical schedule I would like to attend.

Great! I'll let Wade know we have several folks interested.

No decision yet, stay tuned!

Bump to the top with schedule dates added.

bump

@StaleAle I'm still waiting to see my clinical schedule which kicks off 1 March.

Also, I need to try to get someone to round up all my gear and mail it to me from Georgia.

Are hard hat and chaps going to be something that can be borrowed for the field day? Last question, are chainsaws being provided for the field day or do we need to bring one?

Thanks

@StaleAle I'm still waiting to see my clinical schedule which kicks off 1 March.

Also, I need to try to get someone to round up all my gear and mail it to me from Georgia.

Are hard hat and chaps going to be something that can be borrowed for the field day? Last question, are chainsaws being provided for the field day or do we need to bring one?

Thanks

my wife and I plan to take the class - you can borrow a chainsaw from me or I would think we could rotate....if needed, I can bring a few chainsaws....

@StaleAle

Thanks

They will loan you a saw, chaps and hard hat if you don't have those. They also have cheapo eye protection. You must have the proper clothing, leather boots as described, heavy gloves, hearing protection, and I recommend investing in some decent eye protection.

This is coming up soon, are folks planning on driving out every day? Camping? Getting into trouble at night?

They have a lot of interest for this year's session. Get there early so you get a decent seat. The 2nd day sessions will have to be spread out over multiple weekends because they can't take too many at once in the field sessions.

Does the certification expire once you get it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom