1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USFS Chainsaw Class - Feb 2018 (dates to be determined)

Discussion in 'VA/DC/MD- Capital Land Cruiser Club' started by StaleAle, Nov 29, 2017.

1. StaleAle

StaleAle MUD-aholic SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    The USFS Chainsaw class will be scheduled in February 2018. The dates will be announced in early January. This is a Saturday classroom session (most of the day) and weather permitting, a Sunday skills training and test. The skills session is mandatory, but there are usually one or two optional dates to fulfill that requirement.

To attend the class, you must have a pair of 8" leather boots with Vibram soles. You don't have to wear them to the classroom session, but you will not be allowed to participate in the skills and test without them. The USFS can provide the rest of the equipment (saws, safety glasses, hardhat, chainsaw chaps, gloves, etc.), and no you don't get to keep the loaner saw or the chaps. I suggest that you bring your own saw and put a new chain on it for the skills class. If you need prescription glasses, I suggest you make sure yours are made with shatterproof safety lenses. Some hardhats made for loggers have a screen face shield. They are not too expensive and good investment for personal use (compared to losing your eyesight). DO NOT BUY chainsaw chaps before the classroom session. The USFS will give you the specs and the reasons why those specs are so restrictive (USFS authorized chaps are in the $200+ price range, so not your average Tractor Supply/Harbor Freight/Stihl Home Owner specials.)

Post up if you are seriously considering taking the class. I'll let you know when the class date is announced.

Jakes40 likes this.
  2. bkfj40

bkfj40 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    My wife and I are in on taking the class. We recently picked up a local trail as volunteers for the PATC and this would help fulfill the USFS requirement for that - as well as just overall good information.

Thanks!!!

bk

StaleAle, Jakes40 and jcj_78FJ40 like this.
  3. traveldud

traveldud

I still need to take the practical, but it was really worth taking the class. Great instruction!

4. apinti

apinti

I am interested and I have a chainsaw.

Thanks

5. TLEX

TLEX

I am interested

6. H2o

H2o

Interested as well.

7. StaleAle

Media:
    Albums:
    Wade told me that they will decide the date for the class in January. We had it in late February when I took it two years ago. I will keep in touch with the Ranger station and let you know.

bkfj40 likes this.
  8. fjdemon

fjdemon SILVER Star

I'm interested depending on my clinical schedule I would like to attend.

9. StaleAle

Media:
    Albums:
    Great! I'll let Wade know we have several folks interested.

fjdemon likes this.
data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">