Useful things to do while the fuel tank is dry / empty? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Had my 80 in long term storage. Emptied the tank completely with the fuel pump. Must not be much left. Am about to fill it up again soon for engine tune up.
What would be good to do while the tank is still empty? Anything easier or safer now, or good preventive maintenance?
I'm thinking things like cleaning the sediment out of the tank (how?), cleaning the sock, checking / replacing the drain plug / gasket, inspect / replace hoses, stuff like that.

What say you?

This is a good time to yank the pump and take a look at everything. Long term storage could mean rust or possible microbial growth. A new sock and pump won’t break the bank and is one less concern going forward.

yes, was planning to have a peek at the sock for sure, but not too keen on changing the pump if not needed, TBH. But will check prices. If not too bad, I may do it to avoid being bathed in gas vapors later on. What's a ballpark figure on an OEM pump?

OEM pump is now $475 list, around $325 with a hefty discount (US prices). Denso aftermarket pump is ~$120 (RockAuto). IMHO if your 80 has low miles and the engine is running well there's no reason to replace the pump. Easy enough to dig back into it if need be in the future. A new sock (Strainer) is $15 and might be worth replacing.

Denso does not sound too bad, and may even have been the OEM manufacturer (just guessing)?

Is the fuel drain plug removal problematic on these trucks?

Denso does not sound too bad, and may even have been the OEM manufacturer (just guessing)?

Is the fuel drain plug removal problematic on these trucks?
My 1993 had an Asian fuel pump from the factory and that’s what I replaced it with as part of a reliability campaign. The original pump travels with in my spares box.

Been discussed way in the past, the original Fuel pumps (FZJ80) were AISAN.

FWIW about ?8-10 years ago @ ~330,000 miles I replaced my original AISAN pump which began to stutter with a Denso aftermarket pump, working fine.

Aisin quality is unquestionable.

how would you go about cleaning the tank in place for sediment? preferably without accessing the fuel pump opening?

just dump something (what?) in the fuel filler with the drain open?

would putting compressed air though the filler to dry things out risk damaging the sock?

Pretty minor but modify the fuel lines along the tank for easy adjustment access to add sliders if in your future and consider a different charcoal canister in the rear of the 80 instead of the engine bay. Another fail by Toyota with that design. Lines are all there, just takes some rearranging.

All great advice. I am dealing with the known cracking issue of the factory tank. Leaking Tank is a a know issue, if you can get ahead of the issue do it.

And before sourcing non-OEM parts, get the Toyota PN and check out partsouq.com also check out Absolute Wits End for your OEM part needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom