Wanted Used Windshield gasket w/moulding groove - even if it's unusable or only a section (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WarDamnEagle

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking for a sample of this gasket so that I can compare profiles. Would prefer entire gasket but happy with 6" if that's all you got!

Also interested in a cargo window sample; again, with the moulding/trim groove. I've phoned around but haven't had any luck so far.

My 55 is a 1977 although I think the gaskets are interchangeable from 69 to 79. I'm hoping to avoid waiting until I pull my windows to get my hands on the profile.

I can send you my old 1978 complete gasket. Let me know where to ship it.
Bill
That's why I love this place, I was just kicking my self for throwing all my old rubber and chrome trim in the trash then Bill steps up to the plate, thank you Bill!

Curious if you were able to source profiles for the late gaskets with trim groove? I’ll be heading down that rabbit hole events with my 79.

The short answer is no but here’s what I have done.

I bought a circa 1980 Chevrolet C10 pickup rear window gasket (with moulding) that others have apparently used for the cargo windows but I think they used the non moulding one. I also bought an FJ60 gasket with moulding on the hope that the profile would work and I could cut and glue something together. To me the FJ60 gasket looks closer than the C10 but maybe that’s just wishful thinking.

What I don’t have is a chrome trim sample to try which would be another step forward. I also don’t have a 55 body with no glass to try any of these on.

If you look at the 55 windshield it has 4 square corners. The 60 windshield has 2 square and 2 radius corners and is larger (height and width) than the 55. It is my hope that two of the 60 gaskets could be used to make a 55 gasket. I have also found a place that does vulcanized splices on window gaskets which could be an improvement on the typical cut and glue procedure.

Likewise, the 55 cargo gasket has 3 square and 1 radius corners. I have heard from multiple sources that the profile of the 55 windshield and cargo gaskets are the same. Ergo, 2 60 windshield gaskets per 55 cargo gasket might work. I haven’t explored using some combination of 60 cargo and windshield gaskets as I haven’t been able to determine if they are the same profile. It would make some sense to me that they are but that’s just an assumption.

So I have the original rubber and chrome trim. I have been wanting to go to the new seal so I don't have the chrome, cuz you know, black. The windshield is not critical path for what I am doing right now but you can have it all when I do change it out.

That's why I love this place, I was just kicking my self for throwing all my old rubber and chrome trim in the trash then Bill steps up to the plate, thank you Bill!
The short answer is no but here’s what I have done.

I bought a circa 1980 Chevrolet C10 pickup rear window gasket (with moulding) that others have apparently used for the cargo windows but I think they used the non moulding one. I also bought an FJ60 gasket with moulding on the hope that the profile would work and I could cut and glue something together. To me the FJ60 gasket looks closer than the C10 but maybe that’s just wishful thinking.

What I don’t have is a chrome trim sample to try which would be another step forward. I also don’t have a 55 body with no glass to try any of these on.

If you look at the 55 windshield it has 4 square corners. The 60 windshield has 2 square and 2 radius corners and is larger (height and width) than the 55. It is my hope that two of the 60 gaskets could be used to make a 55 gasket. I have also found a place that does vulcanized splices on window gaskets which could be an improvement on the typical cut and glue procedure.

Likewise, the 55 cargo gasket has 3 square and 1 radius corners. I have heard from multiple sources that the profile of the 55 windshield and cargo gaskets are the same. Ergo, 2 60 windshield gaskets per 55 cargo gasket might work. I haven’t explored using some combination of 60 cargo and windshield gaskets as I haven’t been able to determine if they are the same profile. It would make some sense to me that they are but that’s just an assumption.

Sounds like we've bee tracking on the same path with FJ62 molding... Profiles looks close enough to work although the 55 lock strip appears to be slightly thicker than the 62 version. Basically sacrificing the required number of 60 series window gaskets to make the profiles required and glue them together at the corner seams.... if anyone has done this it would be great to hear from them- If I get to it first I'll report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom