Used the roof rack yesterday... What a joke (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had to haul about 300 lbs of trex so I threw it on top. Now I understand why people put so much thought into aftermarket roof racks. My cross bars bowed till they hit the roof. No permanent damage occured but I'll have to think about a better roof rack. I use the thing all the time.

What do ya'll have that isn't $1000 or more?

John

I had to haul about 300 lbs of trex so I threw it on top. Now I understand why people put so much thought into aftermarket roof racks. My cross bars bowed till they hit the roof. No permanent damage occured but I'll have to think about a better roof rack. I use the thing all the time.

What do ya'll have that isn't $1000 or more?

John

Yeah, remove that sucker. I have a Bajarack & dig it & they're local-enough that I was able to pick it up - well under $1k.

I purchased some Thule gutter mount feet and load bars. Then I made a simple but effective platform for it. It works great and my daughters (both under 5) love sitting up there. Thule products off of craigslist = $150 for 8 feet and 4 load bars. Platform = $95 in steel and my own time to cut and weld. It isn't a show stopper but for the price, I can't beat it.
P7120353.jpg
P7120352.jpg

nice looking setup there jlm43, I have a couple of those cross bars sitting in the garage

Cool setup jlm43 , ever consider trimming those crossbars ? - end hi-jack

To OP , bajaracks seem to be pretty good for the price point. ARB isn't that far off, if you care about name brand ... But if you have someone local, or the ability, you could easily fab one yourself as jlm43 has displayed.

You could also do something like this - The J-Rack

African Outback is the only way to fly, found mine used here on Mud in Classifieds...

I have Yakima gear, so I thought of building a higher capacity roof rack using 2 pairs of rain gutter mounts and cross bars, plus adding a Megawarrior basket. I too wanted to gain a higher load capacity and was looking at accomplishing this by doubling the mount points.

I found that after tax, I was back up in the $1000 range. I guess, it really depends on how you are going to use your rack 95% of the time. For me, I use it to go camping with 6 people, so I need that extra capacity. If I were you, I would just buy the nicer $1000 (pick your name brand of choice) rack and be very happy with it. Not a good cheap answer, but... I don't weld either...

For a platform rack that measures 48" wide and 60" long, our price is $289. For a basket rack of the same dimensions with either 4" or 6" sides (your choice), the price is $439. These are one-piece, all-steel racks and mount to the rain gutters with up to 6 heavy duty clamps (these are actually Groucho's units). Six clamps cost $172. We can add welded-in floor slats for about $100 or so (depending on how many you want).

More pics on our website of different sizes and models (click banner below). To see more pics, and get info on promotions and new offerings, "Like" our page on Facebook: DiamondRax | Facebook.

300 lbs on stock roof rack? Wow, I wouldnt of even tried that! :D

I have had good luck locally with craigslist. I have found and bought 2 different Con-Ferr roof racks.

Me too

300 lbs on stock roof rack? Wow, I wouldnt of even tried that! :D

I have had good luck locally with craigslist. I have found and bought 2 different Con-Ferr roof racks.

Same here.. I picked up a con-ferr on Craig's for $200 :D It came with the tire carrier, gutter mounts, shovel and hi-lift mounts, 4 KC's and the mounts and was already wiered up to boot! Check arround there should be plenty to choose from if you prawl CL for a while ;)
As far as Con-ferr Vs others. Keep in mind there is no more con-Ferr so no more replacement parts. :doh:

Ditto the Craigslist, as well as the local scrap yard. I just sold a Con-Fer to a friend for $150.

I use these gutter mounts.

Quick-N-Easy Car Top Racks - Set

With these and a couple 2x4s you're better off than using the factory rack.

Thanks. I may be making a longer one this summer if time permits. About the load bars, yes i have thought about trimming them down. I know it would be better for the tighter trails But I mount my kayak racks there when needed so I haven't done it yet.

JDUBinCO, if you were closer, i would let it go for pretty cheap. Shipping would be a major PITA though.

I picked up a Thule Moab off of Craigslist - full size with the basket extension. It sits on four Thule crossbars with key locking clamps and is pretty much bombproof without being very heavy, and it looks killer.

Cost me $500 and it has two locking crossbars on the basket itself for additional accessories such as ski racks. This stuff is in great condition on CL all the time along the Front Range, and when you go with something like Thule all the other accessories will fit if you need to swap out for functionality.

I couldn't be happier, and this would easily retail for $1,500+ as an 80 series marketed roof rack with all of its features.

When I bought my rig the stock rack was sort of iffy.
I gave it a pull and it came right off.
The rivet nuts were glued in, not riveted.
Since the holes were already in the roof, it was easier to install than remove so I just pulled the rivet nuts tight, reinstalled the whole mess and that solved the water leak I would have by just removing the thing.
After that I put on a yakima rack with a rocket box, ski racks, bike racks, all depending on whether I'm skiing, riding, traveling, whatever.
The whole mess is garage sale/swapmeet stuff, total cost of the whole system is about $200.
If you are patient you can duplicate or even beat my cost, if you want the wind noise to go away, put a fairing on it. Yakima makes one, Thule makes one, or you can just make your own. It just has to seal to to roof in front of your load bar to break up the air flow.
If you don't weld, this is a great way to go.
I don't see much change in mileage unless I hang the rocket box, then we go into single digits.

Thats what I did, minus the basket.
Picked up 4 thule cross bars and gutter mounts from mud,ebay,craigslist for a fraction of the cost new.
Then you have a great platform to work from and add what ever you want to it.
The expensive racks are nice and all but I would rather spend my money else where.

Another plus for the thule/yakima base with a basket (homemade or store bought) is that you can pull the basket off and just use the rails for what every you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom