Used LX with AHC vs OME (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've narrowed my search to two different white LXs that are pretty similar but one is 2000 with around 240k single owner, zero rust, TB done, alternator replaced and rack and pinion done asking $6,500 but is a motivated seller. The other is a 99 with same mileage 285/75/16s, slight surface rust and not as cosmetically clean but has OME 1.5 coils, extensive records for replaced alternator, rack and pinion, ball joints, tie rods, cv axles, and 02 sensors listed at $8,200. Im leaning towards the 2000 but somewhat scared of AHC issues but with a lower purchase price I could be prepared for when and if it ever goes out to replace it with the OME kit. Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts between the two

What is your intended use for the vehicle? Have you tried driving them both for a comparison?

With limited details, and not actually looking at either vehicle:

1999​
Pro​
no AHC to worry about​
Already has 285/75R16 (if that's what you want)​
Slightly more simple in electronics​
Con​
Price​
Was the "AHC delete" done properly? Which torsion bars were used?​
OME won't ride anything like a properly working AHC, is a OME kit what you want?​
2 pinion front diff​
no VSC/ATRAC​
Already has 285/75R16 (may not be what you want)​
Surface rust (from description)​
not as good cosmetically (from description)​
2000​
Pro​
1 owner​
"no rust"​
VSC/ATRAC​
4 pinion front diff​
price (even with an AHC replacement it is still cheaper)​
unmolested (no half assed "mods")​
better cosmetically (by description)​
AHC may be fine, with a flush, some tweaks for pressure, and/or some globes.​
Con​
Possible potential for AHC issues​
Some might think the potential for "2000 Transmission issues"​

Any members live in the area that could check out an LX

I'd post this in the Clubhouse section of the forum as well as there are several Georgia specific groups and if you are on Facebook, the TLCA group is pretty active and you may also have good luck there.

Mainly a weekend vehicle and to tow a 19 ft center console boat

The AHC rig gets my vote. Don't be too scared of AHC. The issues are largely overblown and the failures are not that catastrophically expensive once you properly diagnose it. I think it's ideal for people that occasionally tow and that aren't taking their rig into remote locations for days on end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom