Used LX Purchase Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another vote for the 03. 100k is worth losing a couple hp over. Pride of ownership and maintenance records are important. And you skip the idle air pump.

Even I get along with the other traffic just fine. The way people talk about things around here I feel like my cruiser must be a 4 speed horse drawn buggy.
Thank you for the vote of confidence! Wasn't aware of the idle air pump being different either... will look into that as well.

I was in a similar situation when I was looking to purchase a 100 series for my wife. Had the choice of a 2006 with 190k or a 2004 with 130k (i think...). Priced about the same. But even though the 2004 had less miles, the higher mileage one seemed to be in better shape. Carfax was about equal on both too. It came down to condition for me. Both were southern vehicles, but the lower mileage one had signs of rust (just surface) that the higher mileage one didn't have. Just in weird spots, like on fasteners in the engine bay, and in and around the brackets between the grille and the radiator. Just unsettling for me enough to not pull the trigger on it. This was in 2016. I went with the higher mileage one.

If air injection pumps haven't been done too, that is a known point of failure on the 2uz. The 2003 won't have it IIRC, which is a deciding factor too.

does either have a driveline clunk from drive to reverse? who maintained it makes a huge difference. a driveline clunk indicates most likely improper maintenance and is probably $2-3k to fix properly. I'm dealing with the headaches and wallet aches from the previous owners mechanic on my 100. i suggest the lower mileage one. far less time for things to go wrong in terms of mileage. the only thing the 07 has going for it is possibly condition of rubber components. but it's not much ahead. the 03 gets my vote just based on what you said. but it would be far better to get a cruiser expert to inspect.

I'd take the 2003 because at those ages the year difference is minimal but the lower mileage would likely make for a more reliable vehicle.

I was strictly going off of miles vs. age. FWIW.

Thank you for all this very helpful wisdom. One area I could use some additional help in is the underneath. What should I be looking for in terms of rust and any ideas of how I can distinguish surface rust from rust that would be concerning? I think I read something about the 03 frame being made from a higher quality production plant... not sure about the specifics or if that matters for rust. Thank you!

Thank you for all this very helpful wisdom. One area I could use some additional help in is the underneath. What should I be looking for in terms of rust and any ideas of how I can distinguish surface rust from rust that would be concerning? I think I read something about the 03 frame being made from a higher quality production plant... not sure about the specifics or if that matters for rust. Thank you!

All have the same frames. There was a point where Toyota claims to have put an electronic corrosion inhibitor on some of their vehicles, could be the '03 thing you heard.

If you do take a look at vehicles across the U.S. you will see a wide variety ranging from spotless, factory coated frames (with no rust in California, Arizona, and Nevada for example) to heavy corrosion and perforation rust in the northeast.

I would look for a frame with factory coating and no rust as the best option - they do exist if you're persistent. The next step would be light surface rust (superficial rust, bring a wire brush or screw driver to scrape at a spot or two if they are ok with it).

There are a LOT of threads here if you search "is this too much rust" in the 100 series section. You will see loads of pictures and feedback from people. This is easily one of the most common technical thread question starters here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom