used 2006 6 cylinder 6 speed manual - test drove - "notchy" going into 3rd - thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
test drove an '06 accerss cab with 4wd, replaced frame, 6 cylinders and 6 speed manual, TPMS light is on and slight brief grind or "notch" shifting into 3rd...any thoughts on what would cause and or repair this notchiness? truck has 180K miles, asking ~$8,000...whaddaya think?

My truck, when cold in winter (not sure where you are) could be described as "notchy" before everything warms up, although grinding is different. I think third year synchros go out more regularly than others. Here is a tacoworld link:

Any records to know when gear oil was changed? Should be every 60k, although many recommend 40k interval. Also checking color/fill level of master cyl fluid may show that's the issue. I had a bad cap causing dust to get in to mine years ago. I'm not sure how much new synchro would be. I don't think $8k is a steal, unless everything else is tight and a good maintenance history with documents, IMO. Good luck.

I bought an 06 with 150,000 miles and the 6 speed last year. Drove fine for about 2 months, then the 3rd gear syncros went out. Ive read that this seems to be a common problem with the 6 speeds. Gotta give it plenty of time and a soft touch when shifting up and down into 3rd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom