Used 1991 80 220k Buying advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a chance to pick up a 1991 LC that is in pretty good shape. New rear drum brakes, new shocks, refurb'd wheels, diff fluids flushed, looks fairly clean underneath. The bad, both cats have been cut out and replaced with pipe. Back window wiper has been removed as the motor went out. Slight rips in the drivers side vinyl on the seat. Rest of the seats look good. I'm looking at the rear wheels and all of the grease that is around the ball at the end of the axle. I don't know what is going on here. Any red flags when looking at this or other areas underneath? I think I have the guy down to about $7000, 220k miles. Thoughts?

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80 - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle...

View attachment 2498245View attachment 2498249View attachment 2498250View attachment 2498251
View attachment 2498252

7K sounds like an awful lot for a 91' with the 3FE motor and 220K on it?

Does the undercarriage have rust significant rust?...body rust?

7K sounds like an awful lot for a 91' with the 3FE motor and 220K on it?

Does the undercarriage have rust significant rust?...body rust?
Looks like it has enough oil leaks to mitigate that problem somewhat.

:lol:

Those attachments show a pretty good selection of underbody photos. What do you think?

thanks, I missed those photos..
Looks like undercarriage at some point in time it was painted over the rust but now it peeling away?...just an armchair observation

The knuckles look to need inner seals with the grease/gear oil mixture...very common though..

I think you could do a lot better for $7k. At least something with the 1FZ.

I paid $7200 for my locked 95 with 0 rust and 157k on the clock 14 years ago. While they do seem to be going up in price a bit lately, I think you can definitely do better. I wouldn't consider paying over $5k for that 91.

I paid $7200 for my locked 95 with 0 rust and 157k on the clock 14 years ago. While they do seem to be going up in price a bit lately, I think you can definitely do better. I wouldn't consider paying over $5k for that 91.
Thanks for the feedback folks. I think I'll hold off on this one unless he's willing to give it away for a song. It seems like there may have been some rust issues in the past that were not repaired properly, seems like there are a lot of grease and oil leaks that may be a chore to trace and fix, and the price is too high for a 220k with the 62 style motor.

Thanks for the feedback folks. I think I'll hold off on this one unless he's willing to give it away for a song. It seems like there may have been some rust issues in the past that were not repaired properly, seems like there are a lot of grease and oil leaks that may be a chore to trace and fix, and the price is too high for a 220k with the 62 style motor.

My thoughts exactly. If you can get a good deal, then maybe.
Also I noticed the Toyota emblem on the back door is in the middle; only the 1997 models had them in the middle as far as I know. 1991-1996 should have the emblem on the left side. Maybe it got so rusty that they swapped it out with another door.

My thoughts exactly. If you can get a good deal, then maybe.
Also I noticed the Toyota emblem on the back door is in the middle; only the 1997 models had them in the middle as far as I know. 1991-1996 should have the emblem on the left side. Maybe it got so rusty that they swapped it out with another door.
Yea there's a lot of unknowns with this truck. The guy said that he purchased it as a running and well driving project but it definitely needs some TLC. I think there may have been some shotty repairs and some undisclosed replacements made. If cutting out the dual cats is of any indication, I think the previous owner may have been a bit of a hackjob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom