Use this gasket....or get a new one, something else? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My new water pump arrived today. The included metal gasket was all twisted and bent up in the box. I straightened it out as best I could but it still doesn't look too good. Got a couple of pretty good dings in it.

Will it flatten out and seal off or should I just order a new one? Use FIPG....or do something altogether different?

My original isn't leaking...I am just freshening up a few parts.

Water Pump 97c.jpg

WP gasket1.jpg
Water Pump 97a.jpg

I wouldn't use it. I would buy another (or contact the vendor for a replacement) before putting in all that time and effort.

It's only a few bucks to replace, versus hours of work if you use it, and it leaks and you have to pull the water pump again to replace it.

The functional part of the steel crush-type gasket is the raised hump that runs down the center, that gets squished down as you tighten down the nuts and bolts. The soft bends will flatten out, but I see one area with a kink across the raised hump (top right in photo). It may still seal up, and if you had to get it back together today I'd say use it, but as others have said, and if you're in no rush, get another gasket to be sure and not touch it for another 200,000+ miles.

Ditto what Kernal says, the kink is a leak.

don't use fipg, the pump and mating surface are not designed for it and it will leak. new gaskets and call it a day, or if the old one looks ok and there isn't any of the black stuff missing on the sealing surface you could try to reuse it.

The functional part of the steel crush-type gasket is the raised hump that runs down the center, that gets squished down as you tighten down the nuts and bolts. The soft bends will flatten out, but I see one area with a kink across the raised hump (top right in photo). It may still seal up, and if you had to get it back together today I'd say use it, but as others have said, and if you're in no rush, get another gasket to be sure and not touch it for another 200,000+ miles.

Yes...one area has a definite dent in the 'hump' and it's just not worth trying to refurbish it. Have a new one ordered.

Thanks guys.

I wouldn't use it. I would buy another (or contact the vendor for a replacement) before putting in all that time and effort.

+1. I would contact the vendor. I had a similar situation occur, and they sent me cash back to help cover the replacement cost. Would not hurt to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom