Use Tacoma/4Runner oil filter in 1HDT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can the oil filter from the 4Runner/Tacome/Tundra/gas Land Cruiser (Toyota: 90915-YZZD3) be used in the 1HDT engine?

I have a lead on a box of them for a decent price and wonder if they can be used?

Cheers,

Last edited:
I would say no. The proper factory filter is HUGE compared to the D3 units you are looking at.

Even if they fit, diesels make a lot more soot than a petrol engine.

It's really important to use the right filter number on the one 1HZ/1HDT motors, since it is a top mount filter, you need an anti-drain back valve built in. That way there will always be oil in your filter on cold starts.
As a side note, the YZZD3 updated part number should never be used on any of Toyotas diesel motors, as it is made to filter only a few quarts of oil, not a few gallons. They're also not made in Japan, they're made in Thailand, as are a lot of Toyotas new updated filter part numbers, one reason they're so affordable. Even Denso and Sakura are farming out a lot of their manufacturing to Chinese factories. It's important to buy quality filters that say made in Japan on them. It's a lot cheaper than a rebuild

It's really important to use the right filter number on the one 1HZ/1HDT motors, since it is a top mount filter, you need an anti-drain back valve built in. That way there will always be oil in your filter on cold starts.
As a side note, the YZZD3 updated part number should never be used on any of Toyotas diesel motors, as it is made to filter only a few quarts of oil, not a few gallons. They're also not made in Japan, they're made in Thailand, as are a lot of Toyotas new updated filter part numbers, one reason they're so affordable. Even Denso and Sakura are farming out a lot of their manufacturing to Chinese factories. It's important to buy quality filters that say made in Japan on them. It's a lot cheaper than a rebuild

Yup.

90915-30002 (1HX engines)
15600-41010 (B/L iteration engines)
15601-68010 (H Iteration engines)
04152-51010 (1VD iteration engines)

Only four filters that should be used IMO.

Last edited:
My supply of the 90915-30002 has finally run dry. Will likely go to Baldwin BD7029 as I can source them locally, haven't been able to source the original Toyota filters in bulk since I stocked up 2 or 3 years ago.

My supply of the 90915-30002 has finally run dry. Will likely go to Baldwin BD7029 as I can source them locally, haven't been able to source the original Toyota filters in bulk since I stocked up 2 or 3 years ago.

I've got over 50 of them but as stated shipping to Canada is a deal killer for some.

Yup.

90915-30002 (1HX engines)
15600-41010 (B/L iteration engines)
15601-68010 (H Iteration engines)
04152-51010 (1VD iteration engines)

Only four filters that should be used IMO.

I'm pretty sure the 1990+ L series, KZ and PZ use the same filter as the HZ/HD engines. It must only be the early L/2L engines that used the same filter as the B engines.

okay i got a question, i own a 1hdt, can i just go to a toyota forklift dealer and pick up a oil filter there??. thanks for the info boys and girls

okay i got a question, i own a 1hdt, can i just go to a toyota forklift dealer and pick up a oil filter there??. thanks for the info boys and girls

No. You can go to your local Toyota dealer and just get the correct filter: 90915-30002

Make sure to get 90430-12031 drain plug gasket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom