Use bicycle tool for removing inner axle seal. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Out of options to get my inner axle seal out, I started wandering around the garage looking for strong small 90 degree things I could try. The seal pick I got at NAPA this morning was worthless - just rips the lip.

Opened my bike tool box and staring at me was the Park pedal wrench used to remove pedals by engaging the flats on the pedal spindle. Hmmm.

Literally walked over to the truck, stuck it in there and it fit perfectly. One effortless pull and the seal came out with ease.

DougM

There are certain non-standard tools that every person that ever works on their Toyota should have in their toolbox, stuff like brass drifts, a 2-1/8" socket, a cake batter spatula (great for greasing up Birfs), and one of these:

91352.gif

Besides being the perfect tool for popping out those axle tube seals, they're great for pulling just about any seal, and pilot bearings pop right out with them. You can get a cheapy one at Harbor Freight, but I prefer my MAC Tools one, I think the number is S-120, something like that.

I found that the regular seal puller just tore up the seals if you didn't have the knuckle apart. Wasn't quite enough room to get the right angle on it to get a good "purchase" with the hook on the puller.

Be careful putting the new seals in. I got excited about getting those new seals in place, and put'em in as soon as I could. For some stupid reason, I decided to put some paper towels in the hole to keep any dirt that I might dislodge in a knuckle wirebrushing from entering the axle. Fine.

Then I decided to pull the paper towel plugs out and "boing"......they caught the lip of the seal, inverted it on the outward pull, and off came the little spring that encircles the lip and fell into the axle housing. The local dealer happened to have a new seal, so I gave up on somehow replacing the spring with the seal in place, and just ripped it out and installed the new one.

Lesson. IMO.......Don't put the seal in place until you are ready to reinsert the axle when you are putting it all back together. I'd also put a little grease on the seal so that that axle can slip a little in the rubber, and not invert it and pop the spring off if you have to work the axle back and forth a little to get it properly seated.

I've used a slide-hammer bearing puller from Autozone (free tool rental program), it worked pretty good but you had to screw this cup on tight that makes the 3 'fingers' go out, to get them out enough to actually grab (and not just rip the rubber) the seal...I also used a small pipe-wrench, that worked really slick too.

http://www.colorado4x4.net/tech/knuckle_rebuild/k_18.jpg

The pipe-wrench isn't probably the preferred method, but worked good on the 80, on my 40 I used the slide-hammer since the knuckle is smaller, wrench wouldn't have fit anyway...

I just used a generic T shaped seal puller tool on mine. Worked like a charm. I got it years ago at Sears.

Charlie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom