USB mounts and AC Power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My vehicle is used for investigations each day so I am constantly in need of power for cameras, video cams, radios, phones, and laptop.

I've got to mount a laptop, new CB(+), 2 phones, 3 external cameras, dash cam, handheld video camera, handheld camera with large lens, Ipad, and still manage power for all of it, and have room to move around.

Is it best to run an inverter, perhaps in the center console and run the laptop off of that, then some USB charging points elsewhere?

Any suggestions on mount types for either USB or AC power outlets?

Blue sea systems makes a dual one, looks rugged but haven't found a lot of reviews on it.

Last edited:
Add some 12v outlets. Order a cord that allows you to power the laptop via DC and skip the inverter.

By far your greatest flexibility, with all the stuff you plan to add, is to have both an AC and DC wiring plan. It's easy to plan for the things you know about, not so easy for the stuff you don't plan for. If you are in the field for an investigation you can't just order up a cable. You need things ready to go.

An inverter would be a nice option for some applications but not to charge your laptop.

Powering directly with DC will prevent wasting power and building up heat caused by inverting DC to AC just to have your laptop power cord turn it back to DC.

Also, their are some good USB DC plug ins from Wally World if you need more than what you laptop will provide.

Add some 12v outlets. Order a cord that allows you to power the laptop via DC and skip the inverter.

I like the idea of the dc charger cord, need to see if that's available. Any good site for those??

By far your greatest flexibility, with all the stuff you plan to add, is to have both an AC and DC wiring plan. It's easy to plan for the things you know about, not so easy for the stuff you don't plan for. If you are in the field for an investigation you can't just order up a cable. You need things ready to go.

How true! Luckily, I know what I need to have power for. Hadn't thought of a wiring plan, but I probably need to start there. I work from my vehicle now, it's ok, but I need to make it right as I'm going to be spending a lot more time there.

Do you have one battery in the truck or two?

I'm moving washer fluid container this weekend and installing 2nd battery. Because I need to get into remote places, drive in snow, etc. I really need the land cruiser. Otherwise, I would have bought a van for sure.

I got my DC cord on ebay by searching for "DC cord" and laptop model. Probably cheaper places but the price seemed good and it was convenient for me.

I am guessing it is some kind of PI work?

Yea, I've been working workers comp type claims for years. Women with bad backs and carpel tunnel, 100% disabled, going for a bike ride, shoveling snow, going skiing, making out in cars, I see it all. Most are blatant lies.

The land cruiser is up on blocks now while I get some maintenance done. Interior, electrical X2, and new door panels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom