1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USAF over CO

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by stinkyfj60, Aug 13, 2006.

1. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

I was out getting firewood with my family today... My mom and my daughters looked up and spotted a squadron of what appeared to be F-16s refueling headed South/Southwest Way neat. I could be wrong on the fighter jets ID though...

But a while later we heard the rumble of more jets, looked up to see three A-10s headed East. No mistaking those bad boys :D

Wonder what is going on?

2. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

3. PabloCruise

PabloCruise

Gathering wood...planning for fall already?

Is there a chill coming into the Valley at night now?

4. brian

brian SILVER Star

about twp weeks ago i was out around the range they fly on here.
    heard a rumble, sorta sounded like one of the c-130 variants that are based around here. yet moving slower...alot. when over the mt pops a super stallion. never before saw one them back there, pretty cool indeed. i was impressed with the size of it.

5. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

It rains every night, so the morning with all the windows open bring an nice chill :D

6. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    We had a missing diver in the keys last month, tons of CG aircraft buzzing us for hours.

7. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    While visiting IDave in McCall, ID and floating in Louie Lake a pair of (what looked like) F14 or F18s kept circling at regular intervals. Turns out the Veep was in town or thereabouts. Just FYI:)

Ed

Maybe he was fishing and felt threatened by our angling prowess?

8. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:

How close are you to the Air Force Academy?

Zack

9. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

Close by air. They used to do manuevers and war games from CO bases attacking NM bases, they fly through the San Luis Valley very low to evade radar. They way the valley is shaped, radar doesnt see in here. But a bunch of hippies complained that low flying fighter jets were disrupting wildlife :rolleyes: Even though things fly through here and deer/elk and even cattle dont even lift their head.

When I drove a delivery route up Hwy 17 I used to get buzzed by A-7 Corsair IIs all the time in the summer :D

10. 2badfjs

2badfjs

i live like 30 miles from the base. we get jets flying just a couple hundred feet right over my house.

i love knowing how close the base is to us.
    :cheers: to the armed forces :D

11. srplus

srplus Walked with the Dinosaurs

'nother hijack

I was out in the coastal marshes with the old fj40 and my bro fishing for redfish. We see 2 Tomcats coming right at us down on the deck.

As they went over - we - hit the deck... thought we coulda hit them with the fly rods... hell of a noise. They went around and made another run. I was glad they weren't straffing.

Had the same kind of experience out on the Gulf in my center console off Eglin with F 15's. Turned out we were in an area where they were shooting down drones. We actually saw two shot out of the sky.

I unhooked the radio and took out the fuse so they couldn't call me and I did not respond. When they are out there like that it is against the law to stay... however it cost a bunch of gas to get there and it was in the middle of the week so I figured we'd stay.

My buddy turned to me and asked: "What happens if we get hit with a missle?"...

Here's your sign! :doh:

12. Rugster

Rugster

There are some sort of exercises in the vane of top gun going on out of Nellis AFB.

One of my sons is TDY'd there for the rest of the month with his squadron of A10's.

Inter service fun and games.

13. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Word is, he's coming back. He still wants to beat your fish record, Ed!

14. Fly Rod

Fly Rod

I was anchored up at SW Harbor on San Clemente Island. I have just finished a day of marlin fishing and was cleaning the fly bridge. I kept hearing an irritating buzzing sound. WTF??? Next thing I know an F-15 is going verticle right over my head. If I could have been heard over the thunder I am sure the pilot would have gotten a good laugh. The dude was so close his jet blast was making me uncomfortable, hot!

I envy those guys. They put thier lives on the line and get to have all the fun!

15. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Now, I think Ed and I maybe saw these two bad boys who were also parked across from my office this morning. Anyone able to tell what they are?

*note: requisite FJ45 material included

16. Darwood

Darwood

A-10's. Just about the easiest aircraft to identify.

17. srplus

srplus Walked with the Dinosaurs

Wart Hogs - official aircraft of the drug interdiction branch of the Coast Guard (you can't hear them coming)... also, USAF tank buster and some even call them the same nick as the old navy Jet Corsairs - SLUF's. Use your imagination.

18. baxter650

baxter650

Abbotsford air show was on Fri. Sat. Sun. All kinds of neat stuff buzzing around.
    Went on Sun. but planes were going over my place all weekend shaking the crap out of everything. Two B1-Bs set the alarm in the Cruiser off twice on Sat, poor dog was trying to climb under the couch. Two Thunder Mustangs & an original. Went on Sunday just to see the Replica Mustangs, they are sweet.
    Only $280,000 less paint & avionics.

19. brian

brian SILVER Star

and their real name dates back to ww2. faircild republic a-10 thunderbolt II

reviving the name of a former ground pounder, the republic p-47 thunderbolt.

so i guess that makes the a-10 a ww2 fighter right??

20. baxter650

baxter650

A10s are the only aircraft in the U.S. inventory that take bird strikes in the rear.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">