[USA] KZJ95 vs FZJ80, which one would you sell? The hardest decision of my life! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Full disclosure, I love LC's like nobody's business...
But, generally speaking (and I include LC's), if you're buying vehicles as investment assets, then I got some prime beach front property in Des Moines for you!
I know the "market" is high now, great if you're sellin', but if you gotta buy back in, you're in the same boat.
Best bet might be, sell both and get a good "beater with a heater."
You are in college after all.
- don't shoot the messenger, please

Few vehicles are assets or investments.
By the time registration, fuel, insurance and maintenance are factored in, no money is made.

But I'm just an old man who's owned 60+ vehicles. What would I know?

Neither is a smart DD for a kid on a budget.
Sell the JDM. Park the LC. Buy a s***box.

Personally, I disagree. The land cruiser is an investment. I have owned the 80 for 5 years. In this time, it has more than paid for itself in appreciation even after its poor fuel economy, insurance, and maintenance. I don't think you can say the same thing about a camry. Not to mention, it is a baller vehicle that can tow, carry 7 people, and go anywhere. Too many unforgettable memories that would have never happened if it wasn't for a cruiser. These vehicles are assets.
I get where you're coming from but these can easily become a liability as 25+ year old heavy duty vehicle. Are you doing all the work yourself? If not, it's easy to spend multiple thousands at a mechanic when multiple systems (brakes, cooling, etc.) go out with age. Even if you're a DIYer JDM parts add up quick. I get that they're fun and impressive vehicles but that appreciation can easily be wiped out by the running costs.

Having said that I've found the petrol 80 series running costs can be manageable on a tight budget as long as you don't have an insane commute or get too crazy with PM. After all, these were designed with the expectation of casual maintenance in harsh environments. But, something like a head gasket or blown diff can still leave you dead in the water.

I would sell the Prado as it seems like some collectors here will pay a premium for the cool factor of the diesel. Then consider an XV20 Camry for daily driving and keep the Cruiser for weekend trips if you have a safe place to store it.

Idk if I personally would devote a significant amount of money to buying any dip right now. For all we know this is just the beginning, and besides you can't drive a stock portfolio.

Me personally, I wouldn't sell either. I especially wouldn't sell the Prado considering prices for imports just keep rising, even if you can import yourself. the big question is "would I ever import another one?" if that's a yes, don't let it go. If I was at the point where I absolutely HAD to sell one, it would be the stateside 80 since they're easy to find and are slightly more affordable in todays market.

I'd park one of both somewhere safe under a car cover, and buy a cheap beater.

Keep in mind that siting for long periods of time is not good for vehicles, especially older ones. Often disuse can be worse than misuse.

OP probably wouldn't be asking this if he had deep pockets, so having two 20+ year old JDM trucks should probably be considered a liability.

I get where you're coming from but these can easily become a liability as 25+ year old heavy duty vehicle. Are you doing all the work yourself? If not, it's easy to spend multiple thousands at a mechanic when multiple systems (brakes, cooling, etc.) go out with age. Even if you're a DIYer JDM parts add up quick. I get that they're fun and impressive vehicles but that appreciation can easily be wiped out by the running costs.

Having said that I've found the petrol 80 series running costs can be manageable on a tight budget as long as you don't have an insane commute or get too crazy with PM. After all, these were designed with the expectation of casual maintenance in harsh environments. But, something like a head gasket or blown diff can still leave you dead in the water.

I would sell the Prado as it seems like some collectors here will pay a premium for the cool factor of the diesel. Then consider an XV20 Camry for daily driving and keep the Cruiser for weekend trips if you have a safe place to store it.

Idk if I personally would devote a significant amount of money to buying any dip right now. For all we know this is just the beginning, and besides you can't drive a stock portfolio.

You mean the dip that just dipped again

it has more than paid for itself in appreciation even after its poor fuel economy, insurance, and maintenance.

That's only true if you've sold it. Until then, it's just sunk costs against an uncertain, unrealized gain.

Cars as an investment are a wealthy man's game. The reality is that, in terms of responsible finances, he should walk away from Land Cruisers entirely and, if he absolutely has to own a vehicle, buy a late-model, inexpensive compact. Later, he should dump it as soon as it needs work. The opportunity cost of gaining mechanical knowledge is enormous and should only be done if you're determined to have it as a hobby.

We aren't here because we make financially wise decisions. We're here because we really like a particular hobby.

That's only true if you've sold it. Until then, it's just sunk costs against an uncertain, unrealized gain.

Cars as an investment are a wealthy man's game. The reality is that, in terms of responsible finances, he should walk away from Land Cruisers entirely and, if he absolutely has to own a vehicle, buy a late-model, inexpensive compact. Later, he should dump it as soon as it needs work. The opportunity cost of gaining mechanical knowledge is enormous and should only be done if you're determined to have it as a hobby.
The voice of wisdom, hard won through experience, vs the exuberance and optimism of youth!

We aren't here because we make financially wise decisions. We're here because we really like a particular hobby.
Ain't that the truth!!

You guys are all sounding like my drunk text earlier. I’m off to the ABC store to get more experience.

If you sold one, put the cash into crypto, and it continued to tank, how would you feel?
100% agreed ... please don't sell either to buy a crypto dip. :crybaby:

That's the worst Idea I've read on these forums this year.

You know what you need to do already.
In you have baselined the 80 then you need to keep it.
Sell the Prado & get a beater economy car to drive daily.

Prado just doesn't have the same design caché as an 80. Part of the reason 80's are holding/gaining value is because of the nostalgia. Nobody (aside from a a few outliers) has any nostalgic attachment to a prado. If you're lookig for a value holder, stick with the 80.

OP posted first in January - anyone knows what he ended up doing ?

I'd keep the 80. LHD, local parts, reasonable to find help if you're too busy to fix something yourself. Trade the prado for a used prius if you're concerned about fuel consumption.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom