[USA] KZJ95 vs FZJ80, which one would you sell? The hardest decision of my life! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am at a dilemma. I have a love for the LandCruiser, they are the only vehicles I have ever owned. However, with stock market and crypto in the dumpster, and cruiser prices still holding strong, I want to sell a cruiser and buy the dip. Not to mention gas and diesel prices have gone through the roof. It is hard to justify owning 2 trucks as a college student right now. Currently the 2 cruisers I own are a 1993 USDM FZJ80 and a 1997 JDM KZJ95. I will outline the pros and cons of each vehicle below. If you had to only keep one, which one would you keep? I need some help. In an ideal world, I would keep both and buy another! First world problems amiright? Photos below.

FZJ80 - Gasoline Land Cruiser

Pros:

- USDM, thus parts are a lot easier to come by and stateside Toyota mechanics are actually willing to work on it.
- Capability, Solid front and rear axles. My model does not have lockers however. I don't do any hardcore 4 wheeling and use these vehicles for daily driving, farm vehicles, and light off-roading and camping
- Durability, 80 series differentials and frame just seem beefier.
- Charm, The 80 series is just an icon here in the states. I feel like the king of the road driving it compared to the Prado. The 90 series feels like the ugly duckling of the Land Cruiser family. The 80 series is definitely the better looking vehicle.

Cons:
- Absolutely horrendous gas mileage. I drive an average of around 150 miles a week. Average gas price here right now is around 4.50. With the car getting around 12-13 mpg, it adds up very quick.
- Drives worse on-road. The Prado in comparison with IFS, feels more like a minivan on the road.
- Slow, with the Prado weighing around 800 pounds less, the 90 series is much quicker even with the smaller diesel engine.

KZJ95 - Diesel Land Cruiser Prado

Pros:

- Fuel economy is much better, even with diesel prices being so high. Average diesel price here is 5.40, with the car getting around 22-24 mpg. Still not the most economic, but pretty good for a light truck. Overall, I would say the cost to own the KZJ95 is much less.
- More comfortable, faster, and easier to drive. More practical as a daily driver.

Cons:
- Lack of Toyota diesel mechanics stateside. Both of these vehicles are very reliable, so this isn't too much of a gripe, but trying to find a mechanic that would change a Toyota diesel timing belt was located over 2 hours away.
- Parts, fortunately, this car shares the suspension and frame with the 3rd gen 4runner. But any engine, transmission, or body parts must be shipped from the Middle East or Japan.
- Too much attention. This goes both ways. A lot of stares driving on the right over here and people always want to talk. It's great sometimes, but all the attention gets old trying to go about my day. The 80 series for the most part just blends in with most large SUVs.

I have attached some photos of both of the respective vehicles below. Let me know which one you would keep and sell!
1655576185301.png

1655579394894.png

1655579517434.jpeg

I would keep the 80, because I like 80s. No idea what you should do, though. I owned a $200 motorcycle and a ten year old Celica when I was in college. Sounds like you live in a very different world.
I had a pair of shoes and a Huffy bike in college.

Quite frankly a non-US motor vehicle is a poor choice for an only car. They are perfectly fine as hobby vehicles. If your only car lays down and the parts you need are half-way around the world and/or you are having trouble finding someone that knows how to work on it, you will be relying on your Chevrolegs for quite a while.

Quite frankly a non-US motor vehicle is a poor choice for an only car. They are perfectly fine as hobby vehicles. If your only car lays down and the parts you need are half-way around the world and/or you are having trouble finding someone that knows how to work on it, you will be relying on your Chevrolegs for quite a while.
that right there is a voice of reason...

I would sell the JDM rig and buy a Honda or Toyota sedan with 130K miles on it and daily drive that. You still end up with 2 vehicles, but the one you're driving is a lot easier on the wallet/gas. That's a nice looking 80. I wouldn't want to part with it.

College student? I didn't have a car or bike!
Get a bike or sedan as suggested above for your Daily wheels. 80 series would be the keeper for me because I have no interest in Prados, RHD or diesel engines. And the 80 does indeed look better.

I would keep the 80, because I like 80s. No idea what you should do, though. I owned a $200 motorcycle and a ten year old Celica when I was in college. Sounds like you live in a very different world.
Probably not. 5 years ago, when the 80 was purchased, it was pretty easy to spend a year grinding a s***ty minimum wage job in high school in order to buy a relatively clean one here in the south. Unfortunately that's not the case now.

I get that. But a Toyota is a Toyota. Other than the timing belt, I can't really imagine how much maintenance I am going to have to on the drivetrain. All the other parts for suspension and axles are easy to find stateside and much cheaper to source from a 3rd gen compared to parts on an 80.

I would sell the JDM rig and buy a Honda or Toyota sedan with 130K miles on it and daily drive that. You still end up with 2 vehicles, but the one you're driving is a lot easier on the wallet/gas. That's a nice looking 80. I wouldn't want to part with it.
I really want to simplify and have only one vehicle. It would be nice having a sedan to daily but I need the cargo space.

I get that. But a Toyota is a Toyota. Other than the timing belt, I can't really imagine how much maintenance I am going to have to on the drivetrain. All the other parts for suspension and axles are easy to find stateside and much cheaper to source from a 3rd gen compared to parts on an 80.
Toyotas still break. I'm familiar with that as that's how I earned a living for close to 40 years.
That being said they are significantly more reliable than most everything else.

There is one other observation I will share with you. Depending on where you may live in the future, you may not be able to register a non US vehicle that can't pass an emissions test. Since it was not built to US specs it's an automatic failure.

I have a non US diesel Land Cruiser but it's not my only ride.

I wish you the best in whatever direction you go.

Sell the Prado obviously...you can't even get parts for it quickly or get someone to fix it. How are you gonna daily drive it?

Well you should get a mid 80 tercel 4wd. Good on gas. Usually still has great comfortable seats and a wagon so lots of storage with great mpgs.

Oh sell the Prado it is more land cruiser than an FJ but not by much. Not hating on it but this isn't a decision between an 80 and a 4x or 60 series....

College. Sell both. Focus on a degree that will pay dividends after graduation. Buy a camry or equivalent for now, even a cheap motorcycle. The part about growing up that sucks is called delayed gratification. Embrace the suck.

College. Sell both. Focus on a degree that will pay dividends after graduation. Buy a camry or equivalent for now, even a cheap motorcycle. The part about growing up that sucks is called delayed gratification. Embrace the suck.
Personally, I disagree. The land cruiser is an investment. I have owned the 80 for 5 years. In this time, it has more than paid for itself in appreciation even after its poor fuel economy, insurance, and maintenance. I don't think you can say the same thing about a camry. Not to mention, it is a baller vehicle that can tow, carry 7 people, and go anywhere. Too many unforgettable memories that would have never happened if it wasn't for a cruiser. These vehicles are assets.

Personally, I disagree. The land cruiser is an investment. I have owned the 80 for 5 years. In this time, it has more than paid for itself in appreciation even after its poor fuel economy, insurance, and maintenance. I don't think you can say the same thing about a camry. Not to mention, it is a baller vehicle that can tow, carry 7 people, and go anywhere. Too many unforgettable memories that would have never happened if it wasn't for a cruiser. These vehicles are assets.
Full disclosure, I love LC's like nobody's business...
But, generally speaking (and I include LC's), if you're buying vehicles as investment assets, then I got some prime beach front property in Des Moines for you!
I know the "market" is high now, great if you're sellin', but if you gotta buy back in, you're in the same boat.
Best bet might be, sell both and get a good "beater with a heater."
You are in college after all.
- don't shoot the messenger, please

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom