USA demands for bj74's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gold Boy

🇨🇦 🇺🇸
SILVER Star
Threads
i wounder what prices bj74's will fetch in the USA when the 25 year export rule is up?

just curious.

:D

*ANY* 1985-vintage 70/75 series that is in solid importable shape in 2010 will command a good price, but they will be rarer than hen's teeth. The series is much more "drivable" than the 40/45 series and thus tends to show much more wear.

i am waiting patiently till 2012 when my little white ragtop 70 becomes importable to the states. it has only 22,000 km on it...

They will probably get you the price you pay for them + shipping & associated fees for bringing them in under the 25 yr law, however, if importers catch on, prices may rise, but it all depends on what happens with the world's economy, seeing as the way it's gone may not be quite so terrible if you have the money for it.

it is supply and demand.
if you can locate 100 units and flood the market then the value will plumet, if there is 10 or 20 tops in real good shape then the value will stay high.

that is what happened here, 9 years ago when i got into the JDM craze the value was high now the market is flooded with good and s*** and the value of the everyday cruiser has dropped. the highend still fetch a premium.

I forsee thousands of RHD units leaving Australia on ships bound for LA/SF...

I doubt it. People here tend to be much more prejudiced against the RHD. And while people tend to talk a lot, in the end few are ready to pay a premium for a high end truck.
j

I know of 5 people waiting to import plenty of 70's when the 25 year rule is up....me being one of them.

which is the main reason i import very few. i find excellent examples and offer them up.
anyone can offer up s*** for sale for cheap.

I doubt it. People here tend to be much more prejudiced against the RHD. And while people tend to talk a lot, in the end few are ready to pay a premium for a high end truck.
j

The nice trucks are dirt cheap in AU and can sell easily here for under $10K with basically zero rust. I've found keeping the price low keeps the tire kickers interested.

me, i dispise tire kickers, they waste my time that i can use for my own interests.
if someone is seriously interested then no problem.

i had a BJ40 for sale with a tag of $20K in wicked shape, one prick shows up with his snot nosed kid and wastes an hour and a half of my time to offer me $10K. guys like that can go to you and waste your time.

*ANY* 1985-vintage 70/75 series that is in solid importable shape in 2010 will command a good price, but they will be rarer than hen's teeth. The series is much more "drivable" than the 40/45 series and thus tends to show much more wear.

This is true, but its also offset by the fact the 7* dont rust out as much and were sold in much higher numbers.
Because they were sold in such high numbers over such a long period,there is still plenty of new OEM body parts
The 1990-98 75 series are selling for between 10k-15k in oz for good units.
The 85 model (HJ/FJ) are going for half that.
The aussie MWB are probably in the best condition out of all the 7* series as they were all sold to private owners.
IMO ,the best models have the fold down windscreen which makes rust repair a cinch.

It will be hard to pick winners though:D

Seen parked and playing coy at a campsite, Whipsaw 2007. Ripe by date for the USA = 2014 :) For now; enjoy.
BJ74.jpg

Last edited:
I think I remember RedReefer driving that one . I hope she stayed warm and dry this winter Greg . ie the liquid de-icer they sprayed on the roads.

I took advantage of my exhaust getting so corroded . I could squish the down-pipe with my bare hands.
So for a large sum of money I repaced it with 2.5-3" with a Magnaflow at the back and a (Y) dump like the prado had. For my neighbors sake I keep it capped off.

As much as I love the 40s . I believe our Friends south of the border will really appreciate the On and Off road ability of the MWB 70 series.

As much as I love the 40s . I believe our Friends south of the border will really appreciate the On and Off road ability of the MWB 70 series.

That's exactly why I'm getting one next week! It's in customs hold right now. The comfort level should be much better for longer drives.

I think I remember RedReefer driving that one . I hope she stayed warm and dry this winter Greg . ie the liquid de-icer they sprayed on the roads.

Sprayed down, washed, rinsed after the melt for each period of snow, then liberal use of Rust Check and Fluid Film, in addition to the annual soaking each fall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom