US Spec. February 1990 Poverty 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I spent some time this past weekend rearranging the garage, so I could get the 80 in. The 45 project had really spread out but it is far enough along to share the space, so it has company which will be distracting at times. I am hoping the swap goes quickly after I start.

View attachment 3228028

Interestingly I have driven the 80 three times after letting it sit and have not been able to repeat the check engine light or electrical issue when under load with lights turned on. Weird, doesn’t matter at this point. I plan start the swap shortly.

That 8274 winch in the 80 bumper is quite sexy.....

Pretty rare as I thought only LX450 full-spec 80's were sold in the US. It's got some of the features of our Oz pov/dx/base model 80's with the no-sunroof, fixed cargo side glass, no flares, but it still has a tailgate not barn doors.

Looks pretty nice and hopefully is mostly rust-free.
Thanks, it is a unique 80. It is free of any significant rust which is nice.

Pretty rare as I thought only LX450 full-spec 80's were sold in the US. It's got some of the features of our Oz pov/dx/base model 80's with the no-sunroof, fixed cargo side glass, no flares, but it still has a tailgate not barn doors.

Looks pretty nice and hopefully is mostly rust-free.

I'd put up the argument that USDM poverty packs are some of the rarest 80's in the world. Most 80's that came to the US were optioned pretty heavily.

I'd put up the argument that USDM poverty packs are some of the rarest 80's in the world. Most 80's that came to the US were optioned pretty heavily.
It would be cool to know how many made it to the US and then how many still exist. Some day someone will look back on this thread and think why did he modify that rare original 80. I will be some future collectors cursed PO but whatever, I am going to like it more with the drive train going into it.

Last edited:
I had a friend who had a poverty pack 80 series and it had a quite the interesting history. From what I recall, it was owned by an older lady in Santa Fe, NM. This particular 80 had an auxiliary fuel tank, the tilt angle indicator up top near the sunroof controls, all cloth interior, no sliding rear windows and a Milford cargo barrier in the back. According to my friend, the owner took the 80 to a dealership for some kind of an issue, and the mechanic removed the front sway bar, and the rear fuel tank. It was bizarre!

I bought the cargo barrier from him and he has since sold the '80. I bet if I dig through my pictures I'll be able to find that particular lady on a past wheeling trip.

It would be cool to know how many made it to the US and then how many still exist. Some day someone will look back on this thread and think why did he modify that rare original 80. I will be some future collectors cursed PO but whatever, I am going to like it more with the drive train going into it.
I agree, it would awesome to see how many made it to the US. However, every account I have heard about build specifications is that Toyota doesn't keep those numbers. Hell, there's debate about the configurations of collector's editions. Just from searching from the internet, I have been able to find about 20ish USDM poverty packs. You bring up a point about collectability and modifications, but I believe that LC owners understand that these vehicles were really designed to be used. I find it better that your 80 found it's way to an owner that will keep it on the road, rather than end up in the junk yard. Good luck with the drivetrain swap.

Except for multiple orders from Partsouq and others, the real work has started. The motor is out and should be off to a new home soon. It came out pretty easy. I wish the weather had been better, so I could have sprayed it down. I will have to find a way I clean the engine bay up in place.

21B0D2E8-8FBC-4ECA-8090-5ADA3849F029.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't know how your body does this sort of work 😂. This is a ton of work for a one man show.

I don't know how your body does this sort of work 😂. This is a ton of work for a one man show.
Having the two projects going on at once is not ideal but I really need the 80 done by spring. After all the work that has gone into the 45 it makes a motor swap in the 80 seem easy. I will end up swapping out almost all of the interior too. Hopefully it goes as smoothly as I see it in my head. :rolleyes:

Gives me hope that maybe this year I can remove the original 1hz from my 80 and replace it with something else! Nice work - you're lucky to have an indoor/enclosed area to work. Makes things heaps easier that having to do everything outdoors at the behest of the weather, work schedule, family time requirements, self-care, etc.

Gives me hope that maybe this year I can remove the original 1hz from my 80 and replace it with something else! Nice work - you're lucky to have an indoor/enclosed area to work. Makes things heaps easier that having to do everything outdoors at the behest of the weather, work schedule, family time requirements, self-care, etc.
If I did not have the work space I do I probably would not have taken on a number of the projects that I have. Up until I bought the spot I am in now I have almost always had to work outside. Happy I don't have to do that now.

I am planning to delete the rear heater under the passenger seat to eliminate any future maintenance issues. Has anyone done this and regretted it?

Last edited:
I am planning to delete the rear heater under the passenger seat to eliminate any future maintenance issues. Has anyone done this and regretted it?
I'll be doing the same thing on mine, have all the parts on hand, just don't have warm temperatures to work in yet.

I think it's a win-win due to all the potential issues you are eliminating in the process.

I'll be doing the same thing on mine, have all the parts on hand, just don't have warm temperatures to work in yet.

I think it's a win-win due to all the potential issues you are eliminating in the process.
What parts are needed to delete it? Floor plug and ?? Maybe my application is different?

What parts are needed to delete it? Floor plug and ?? Maybe my application is different?
Couple of hoses from Napa will clean up the firewall nicely. But then again your 92 maybe slightly different than my '96, shouldn't be though.

I removed enough from the engine bay to start fitting the drive train in it. I figured this was going to be simple but the motor mounts I ordered would not fit with headers, so I pulled out all the extra motor mounts I had laying around and found 80 series mounts would work.

Fitting the 2uz with a manual in the 80 requires the transmission crossmember to be moved about 5 inches or so forward. Both of my original solutions for this wouldn’t work. I came with a temp solution while I figure out what my permanent mount will look like.

After playing with the frame side motor mounts for hours I believe I have them figured out. The motor is sitting in there now and I decided to call it a night.

Sorry I did not take pictures today but this is where I stopped.

D0D4DB71-47DB-48B3-8E4A-21567EBC6E44.jpeg

Good stuff. Glad you are doing a mechanical fan.
I removed enough from the engine bay to start fitting the drive train in it. I figured this was going to be simple but the motor mounts I ordered would not fit with headers, so I pulled out all the extra motor mounts I had laying around and found 80 series mounts would work.

Fitting the 2uz with a manual in the 80 requires the transmission crossmember to be moved about 5 inches or so forward. Both of my original solutions for this wouldn’t work. I came with a temp solution while I figure out what my permanent mount will look like.

After playing with the frame side motor mounts for hours I believe I have them figured out. The motor is sitting in there now and I decided to call it a night.

Sorry I did not take pictures today but this is where I stopped.

View attachment 3240751

I confirmed the placement of the motor. Then pulled it back out cleaned up the mounts and frame, so I could tack them in. One of these frame mounts is from an 80 series, the other I can’t recall what it was removed from but it is very similar to an 80 series mount.
DCCF332A-1D2B-4C8D-A4C5-F02D464AC63D.jpeg

I found the the crossmember could be modified slightly by cutting one corner. and elongating two of the mounting holes. I can use two of the stock mounting points but will have to add another to use the most forward mount. I could run it like that using 6 instead of 8 mounting bolts but I am contemplating a custom crossmember that would double as skid protection for the tcase.
59B247EF-4A6F-4181-A359-2B549C1F5AD3.jpeg

The engine mounts are tacked in and it is sitting in the truck under its own weight. I will have to set the hood on to make sure it clears before I weld the mounts in permanently.

C8C2B7EE-6438-4C3A-84B6-555E3650FACB.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom