US Spec. February 1990 Poverty 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tank5

SILVER Star
Threads
This 80 is not new to the forum as it has belonged to two other members before I got it. I feel like it is pretty neat and wanted to share its uniqueness and slow transformation here. I might also need some help as I have intentionally avoided the 3fe 80s after I had my first one.

The build date is February of 1990 according to the vin which I find cool.
The poverty pack on this 80 is:
No sunroof
No roofrack
No sliding rear windows
No running boards
No fender flares
No 2nd or 3rd row seats
Cloth interior and manual seats

It needs some love and I am fan of this odd duck all except the 3fe, so I plan to tinker on it to make it a little nicer while I use it as a dog hauler and DD when needed.

The PO I acquired it from had started to swap a set of elocker axles under it, so my first task is to finsh that and get some matching tires and wheels under it.

Here it is on the way home and in the driveway.

20200703_160634.jpg

20200709_175205.jpg

20200709_175216.jpg

20200709_175324.jpg

Wow, they offered no sunroof versions in the US?
That's a great find.
Sure did. Maybe it was special order? Not old enough to know. My 94 has flares, sliding windows, all the seats, but no sunroof or rack.

I am aware of some others that have been found without a sunroof that were us spec. I assume you could order that way.

Common in Puerto Rico, they got all the poverty packs in 80’s and 100’s. Many have been brought over here.

I like my sunroof but I think 95% of us would rather not have a factory RR these days.

Never have seen much explanation on why certain versions are here in the states. Clients 97 at the shop now, fully loaded except no factory RR. My 95 is green with gold emblems, diff locks and grey cloth. From what I understand a pretty rare combo and a somewhat odd one at that.

Cheers

And FYI, I walked on a lot in early 1994 in Eugene Oregon with a friend who bought a brand new 1994 with leather and diff locks and it was green with the standard package. Big Toyota dealership back then, they had one Cruiser and there were no choices offered. The only thing he could get done to it was the cheesy front bar and rear tail light grills. I think the cargo cover too but that was it, no other options or choices.

Cheers

Common in Puerto Rico, they got all the poverty packs in 80’s and 100’s. Many have been brought over here.

I like my sunroof but I think 95% of us would rather not have a factory RR these days.

Never have seen much explanation on why certain versions are here in the states. Clients 97 at the shop now, fully loaded except no factory RR. My 95 is green with gold emblems, diff locks and grey cloth. From what I understand a pretty rare combo and a somewhat odd one at that.

Cheers
And FYI, I walked on a lot in early 1994 in Eugene Oregon with a friend who bought a brand new 1994 with leather and diff locks and it was green with the standard package. Big Toyota dealership back then, they had one Cruiser and there were no choices offered. The only thing he could get done to it was the cheesy front bar and rear tail light grills. I think the cargo cover too but that was it, no other options or choices.

Cheers

I parted out a 93 80 that was imported from Venezuela that didn't have a sunroof. It also had a carbed 1fz and h151f. Sadly the body had really bad rust on the driverside body mounts and was not worth trying to save. It was fun to drive for a little while

It would be interesting to know how many options were available to dealers. .

I take it that’s a USA spec 80 series. Never heard of one without the second row of seats. Third row yes but not second row. roof rack, wind deflector and running boards were all port installed options. The no sunroof and lack of rear sliding windows and no fender flares make the truck unique. Btw all fj80s for the us market had cloth seats and manual seats. Leather/power seats weren’t an option til 1993

Have any interior pics of the second row seat delete??

I will have to take some. A PO had installed a set of second row seats in it that were removed before I got it. I was told it has holes where the mount bolts should go but they are not threaded, so you have to place nuts and washers to install them.

I actually looked at where the seats would mount today. I found the 6 of the 8 mounting point do have capture nuts for seats two of the eight do not, so I don't know if it would or wouldn't have had seats originally.

Here are some pictures.

20200712_112253.jpg

20200712_112224.jpg

I finished installing the front locked axle and buttoning up all the loose ends and checking torque on everything that was manipulated during the F/R axle swap.

It ended up with Dobinson 2" front springs and new OME 861 rear springs, with a set of used OME sport shocks I had on hand. The new rims are a set 80 40th Anniversary rims with 285 BFGs. I like the stance.

I also added a factory center diff lock button. I still have to get the axle elockers wired but for now I am happy it is drivable.

It didn't come with a front swaybar, so I will drive withoit it until I can get one.

I took it for a drive on a mixture of paved and dirtroads and found that the tcase pops out of gear. It happened twice and I stopped driving it in low. I didn't take any tools on the test drive, dumb. I also found that the transmission pops out of reverse. I had it happen at least five times over the past two days. Other wise that one hour test drive went well.

The old girl needs some love, so I will always have somethig to do if I am looking.

20200712_112156.jpg

Last edited:
I actually looked at where the seats would mount today. I found the 6 of the 8 mounting point do have capture nuts for seats two of the eight do not, so I don't know if it would or wouldn't have had seats originally.

Here are some pictures.

View attachment 2369463

yeah. Looks like the seats were simply removed. Holes in the carpet and screw points for the second row. Still a unique rig.

I removed the front sway bar from my '93 and am planning on going camping down in Costilla in August if you do not come across one by then Dennis.

yeah. Looks like the seats were simply removed. Holes in the carpet and screw points for the second row. Still a unique rig.

I agree, I am not convinced it didn't come with second row seats. I do believe it didn't come with third row seats though. There are no wholes in the carpet or brackeys for the seats to mount too.

I removed the front sway bar from my '93 and am planning on going camping down in Costilla in August if you do not come across one by then Dennis.

Thanks, let me know when you come down this way. I may have a lead on one locally but it may not work out.

Looking through this thread I see we have very similar vehicles. Any new progress on the rig?

Congratulations finding your 80. My gets driven regularly but I have not made any changes to it. I have put all my efforts into getting my 45 done.

I bought a non-cracked dash and some nice replacement door panels for it. I have a full 2uz drivetrain to swap into it at some point as well. Hopefully I will have to time for it next year.

I can clarify the seat situation. It did come with second row seats, but the "bench style" long second row seat rather than the split seats. With that style, you only had the six bolts, not eight. No third row seats though. That config was common in Australia for "poverty pack" models.

Keep in mind that when the 80 Series started shipping in the US market, everything was an a-la-carte option and they were extremely difficult to get as the majority were being shipped over to the gulf war as UN vehicles. I had to special order mine months in advance from the dealer in 91. The standard package had no sunroof or 3rd row seating or fender flares or transmission cooler and came with a basic AM/FM/cassette. I have my original sales order floating around somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom