US-spec 80 in the UK (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tachycardic

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm prepping to ship my 80-series over to the UK and was wondering if I can get some advice from folks who shipped their LCs to the UK. What's the MOT like? I heard that US-spec cars have to have amber lights front and rear, and that it also needs side marker lights, or they will need to be installed. Our vehicles have the 2 little red side markers in the rear--are those enough? I'm also running LED head lights and have heard that those may need to be replaced. Just looking for some experience on the issue so I can prep for any potential surprises and avoid disappointments. TIA.

Post at landcruiserclub.net for fast responses.

I lived 7 years in the UK. Not to be a Debbie Downer but why would you want to take your 80 over there? It will be a total pain. The Brits are quite pedantic when it comes to regulations so there's no such thing as "good enough". I think you will also have to have to headlights adjusted so that they are angled to the left instead of to the right.......but don't quote me on that.

I had a nice turbo diesel 100 series when we lived there and I would be looking at one of those if we ever went back.

Good luck with the move. Moving international is a pain but we somehow survived 6 of them (4 of the moves were with 4 children).

I bought an XJ from a US serviceman who was heading back to Texas and didn't want to take the jeep (This was 20 years ago when i was marooned in England). I had to add marker lights on the front fenders (super easy), had to buy new headlights (also super easy). Your rear indicators will need to be amber and any amber driving lights at the front will need to be removed also. There was some BS with the seatbelts - the ones from the OEM did not have the CE stamp on them and suitable replacements were more than I paid for the truck. I got away with this requirement as the dude doing the certification had failed to notice the requirement was only for commercial vehicles. All of this is before you even get a chance to have the vehicle MOT'ed - this is just the initial registration process that gets you a licence plate and pink slip. The 80-Series was sold in the UK so you shouldn't have too much trouble. That said, I am with @WarDamnEagle on this one. There are better 80-Series options over there than what we got here - diesel engines being one and I seem to recall that 4x4's in general are much cheaper there than here.

Totally understand where you guys are coming from, but after living in Korea for nearly 2 years without the truck, and now going to the UK for another 3--I just want to drive the thing rather than let it rot in storage.

Whats wrong with selling it? Clearly there are no emotional issues or you wouldn't have incarcerated it for the past 2 years...just sayin' :meh:

First, I do have emotional ties to it. Second, I was only supposed to be in Korea for a year, but due to certain circumstances, I extended my DEROS. Third, I only have 2.5 weeks to travel from Korea to the US to take care of my HHG before I have to report to my next location in the UK, so time is super limited even if I wanted to sell it.

I kept an 80, a 55, an ’85 4Runner, and a GT500 in storage for years and they are all fine. Obviously your choice but I wouldn’t be concerned about storing it for 3 years if that is your main reason.

Besides, won’t you come back once or twice a year to the US?

I had to google DEROS. Guess you are military so they will ship it for you - I assume. Lots of vehicles in Europe that would be nice to ship home and 3 years gives you plenty of time to find something interesting.

Edit: had to google HHG as well. :D

Last edited:
I'm prepping to ship my 80-series over to the UK and was wondering if I can get some advice from folks who shipped their LCs to the UK. What's the MOT like? I heard that US-spec cars have to have amber lights front and rear, and that it also needs side marker lights, or they will need to be installed. Our vehicles have the 2 little red side markers in the rear--are those enough? I'm also running LED head lights and have heard that those may need to be replaced. Just looking for some experience on the issue so I can prep for any potential surprises and avoid disappointments. TIA.
There is a list of standard items that need changing from the side lights, side repeaters, beam direction and rear fog light otherwise the rest is pretty straight forward.

We are just dealing with one now if you need specific advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom